Will restoring from an older backup delete the newer ones?

I currently just got my new phone in an had some files and photos that accidentally deleted when I enabled iCloud Photos on my old iPhone but I have a backup from an older device/date. If I use this backup will I lose the newer backups and will the old backup restore the photos and files prior to enabling iCloud Photos? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 6:24 AM

Hi there Cdh_141,

Depending on when your photos were deleted, they might appear in the Recently Deleted album in the Photos app. We would recommend checking here first. If they appear in this album, you can restore them: Delete photos on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If the photos do not appear in the Recently Deleted album, you could try restoring an older backup. Doing so will replace all the data currently on your iPhone with only the data that was available at the time of backup. This means that if you have a backup that was taken before you enabled iCloud Photos, it would still have the missing photos.

To get the photos back, we suggest the following:

1. Create a current backup of your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Turn iCloud Photos off on your iPhone under Settings > [ your name ] > iCloud > Photos. This won't remove any of the photos from iCloud, but may remove some from your iPhone. We'll turn iCloud Photos back on later, so you'll get those photos back. This step will help protect iCloud Photos from inadvertently deleting anything else.
  3. Restore the old backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support
  4. Enable iCloud Photos under Settings > [ your name ] > iCloud > Photos. You should be asked if you want to merge or replace the existing data. Select merge. This will combine the iCloud Photos and the photos on your device, including the previously deleted ones you're trying to recover.

Any newer photos and data that you are syncing with iCloud will restore to the iPhone after enabling the relevant option in Settings > [ your name ] > iCloud.

Don't hesitate to respond back if you have questions.

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2023 6:24 AM in response to Cdh_141

Hi there Cdh_141,

Depending on when your photos were deleted, they might appear in the Recently Deleted album in the Photos app. We would recommend checking here first. If they appear in this album, you can restore them: Delete photos on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If the photos do not appear in the Recently Deleted album, you could try restoring an older backup. Doing so will replace all the data currently on your iPhone with only the data that was available at the time of backup. This means that if you have a backup that was taken before you enabled iCloud Photos, it would still have the missing photos.

To get the photos back, we suggest the following:

1. Create a current backup of your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Turn iCloud Photos off on your iPhone under Settings > [ your name ] > iCloud > Photos. This won't remove any of the photos from iCloud, but may remove some from your iPhone. We'll turn iCloud Photos back on later, so you'll get those photos back. This step will help protect iCloud Photos from inadvertently deleting anything else.
  3. Restore the old backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support
  4. Enable iCloud Photos under Settings > [ your name ] > iCloud > Photos. You should be asked if you want to merge or replace the existing data. Select merge. This will combine the iCloud Photos and the photos on your device, including the previously deleted ones you're trying to recover.

Any newer photos and data that you are syncing with iCloud will restore to the iPhone after enabling the relevant option in Settings > [ your name ] > iCloud.

Don't hesitate to respond back if you have questions.

Cheers!

Will restoring from an older backup delete the newer ones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.