Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard mapping: My keyboard has been scrambled

keyboard mapping: On starting my 2014 MacBook Pro with Mojave 10 14 6 this morning; the keys on the far left and the far right and all of the numbers and punctuation marks are incorrectly assigned or mapped or whatever the correct term is: can anyone help*

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 9:58 AM

System Preferences->Keyboard->Input Sources

What is the selected input source?

If for some reason you don't see the right one there, click the + button to add it to the list.

Also: check the box "Show input menu in menu bar" so you can easily see which is active (and change, if necessary) without going back to System Preferences.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2019 9:58 AM in response to edosan86

System Preferences->Keyboard->Input Sources

What is the selected input source?

If for some reason you don't see the right one there, click the + button to add it to the list.

Also: check the box "Show input menu in menu bar" so you can easily see which is active (and change, if necessary) without going back to System Preferences.

Sep 13, 2019 10:49 AM in response to edosan86

edosan86 wrote:

the keys on the far left and the far right and all of the numbers and punctuation marks are incorrectly assigned

If you would provide specific details I could probably tell you what input source you have mistakenly activated.

In any case, you need to do what Luis said and ideally make sure you have only one item on the Input Source list, and that the name of that item is US or ABC (or whatever is appropriate for your language).

The active input source is determined by what you see in the "flag" menu at the top right of the screen (and NOT by what you have selected in the Keyboard/Input Source list).

If you are using a Japanese keyboard, let us know right away, as there are some special issues that can arise in that situation.

keyboard mapping: My keyboard has been scrambled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.