Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appalling Battery Drain iOS 12.1.4 across multiple devices

Since updating to 12.1.4 all phones in our home are displaying excessive battery drain, iPhone 6+, 6S and even the XR. The 6+ and 6S will drain a battery completely within 6 house overnight doing nothing. Our XR used to consume approx 8% overnight but this has increased to >55%!!. As Apple have stopped signing all IPSW's except 12.1.4 there isn't even an option to revert back . Although the 6S and XR will be capable of ios13 which will hopefully fix the issue the 6+ is outside the ios13 list, so thank you Apple for breaking my phone.

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 1:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 1:26 AM

I can assure you that the updates are to enhance your device and not to cause harm. The battery performance will depend on how your iPhone is used. Certain applications can cause your battery to drain quickly as well as certain settings. Check out how to optimize your battery to get the best performance: maximizing-performance. Will also want to check out: HT208387 and HT201264

If the above does not help, reach out to Apple Support: https://support.apple.com

If none of the above, you can leave feedback to voice your concerns at: apple.com/feedback 

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2019 1:26 AM in response to lh120503

I can assure you that the updates are to enhance your device and not to cause harm. The battery performance will depend on how your iPhone is used. Certain applications can cause your battery to drain quickly as well as certain settings. Check out how to optimize your battery to get the best performance: maximizing-performance. Will also want to check out: HT208387 and HT201264

If the above does not help, reach out to Apple Support: https://support.apple.com

If none of the above, you can leave feedback to voice your concerns at: apple.com/feedback 

Sep 15, 2019 2:11 AM in response to lh120503

A couple things worth mentioning:

• unauthorized modifications such as opening your device can void the warranty if you have one
  • beta is the testing phase before offered to general public. Apple Support will not be able to troubleshoot issues if you are running beta. You will need to uninstall and reinstall public iOS version or give feedback using the Beta feedback Assistant app
  • The iPhone 6 is considered pretty old now in technology years and nothing lasts forever. It is expected for older products to start having issues - technology, cars, and even us humans :) The iPhone 6+ will not be able to update to iOS 13

We are just Apple users here on this forum, so best to contact Apple directly with your concerns or leave feedback: apple.com/feedback 

Sep 15, 2019 2:35 AM in response to lh120503

Apple can't allow an iOS downgrade because as they update their software, so do the software developers and carriers. If iOS software could be reverted, your phone could have a lot more issues moving forward.

Older hardware could have trouble with software updates, this is why some models are no longer able to update to the current software version.

While you can revert to an older macOS version, this is strongly not recommended as could cause issues with applications and security.

Sep 15, 2019 1:33 AM in response to brittier8

I have been using iPhones since they first arrived and know exactly how best to use them. I am also convinced this update has caused problems. When reviewing the battery usage app for the previous night it shows a steady drain with no apps running. On the 6S I did a factory reset on the phone with iTunes and set it up as a new phone. aside from signing into to iCloud I installed no apps and just left it as it was. The battery discharge was exactly the same and within 6 hours the battery was completely flat. Battery health is displayed as 98%. All of these devices were absolutely fine until the 12.4.1 update, its too much of a coincidence. I am moving back to Android until this is sorted.

Sep 15, 2019 1:54 AM in response to brittier8

I am an experienced electronic engineer, a well known worldwide power supply and battery charging expert. I have been developing all types of power supply and chargers for everything from oil rig platforms, military jets to consumer devices and battery packs so I know what I am doing and what I am talking about. I don't need to buy new devices as we already have them here, what I would prefer though is for Apple to fix the problem. I am in the process of installing iOS 13 Public Beta on the 6S, I will update this post to let you know if that solves the issue. In the event I can do anything with the 6+ I will open up the device and measure the actual current drain whilst the device is sleeping with and without cellular/wifi and send that discharge information to Apple.

Sep 15, 2019 1:57 AM in response to sophall2014

You are not alone, The reason I posted this in the first lace is due the large number of people I speak with who have seen regarding battery problems since the inception of iOS 12. iOS 12.4.1 is the straw that broke the camels back. What frustrates me most is how software like this is ever released. Surely engineers and users in Apple must have tested this update on everything from iPhone 6 upwards, or did they? Or are Apple still using the public as their testing guinea pigs?

Sep 15, 2019 2:24 AM in response to brittier8

The phone I may investigate is the 6+, well outside its warranty, although it is old it is in perfect condition and was never experiencing issues until this last update.

The installation of iOS 13 Beta is merely to see if iOS 13 Beta performs better than an official 12.4.1 release, if it does then it proves that even a Beta software, unfinished is better than a fully tested released version.

We shouldn't be expected to replace phones because the recent updates render them useless with no options to revert back to the release that worked. We should be allowed to roll back software if we choose, its our decision. We have purchased our devices with hard earned cash, what we do with them should be our choice. Apple however take away those choices. I usually have two options, accept the inability for the device to work with the latest update or rollback to a previous iteration that worked, the later option has been removed by Apple.

Even Windows 10 and MacOS allow you to roll back software to uninstall recent updates if they cause problems, or even install older operating systems, but for iOS devices Apple seem to think they know better than we do, in some cases that may be true, but in this case it is not.

Appalling Battery Drain iOS 12.1.4 across multiple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.