Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive to be uneencrypted

I have been adding all my photos to an external hard drive. I need to be able to run some apps on those pictures but nothing will work. I don't know if the external drive is encrypted but when I look at settings I do not have that box checked.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 9:35 AM

You're using the Time Machine drive for a working drive with those photos. That's not permitted. You need to put those image file on an external HD that is formatted as shown in this screenshot:

A Time Machine drive does not allow normal file access like a working drive does

4 replies

Sep 15, 2019 9:40 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you! This is frustrating because I specifically purchased this drive for photos and nothing else. Is there anyway to prevent me from having to do a month's worth of work (transferring files from cd's and so on) to make this drive accessible? If not, I need some idiot proof directions on how to set up an external drive for pics.

Sep 15, 2019 9:56 AM in response to tinabreck

My last post described what you need to do to make a drive available for use as a working drive. Get a new drive that's big enough, reformat before every using as shown in the screenshot of my last post and copy the photos from the TM drive to the new drive.

I suggest one of these drives for reliability and performance: OWC Mercury Elite Pro.

OR (the best option in my opinion), get a OWC drive that's 2 -3 times the size of your internal boot drive plus your My Passport drive.

Then do the following:

1 - format the OWC drive according to the screenshot.

2 - copy the image files from the My Passport drive to the OWC drive.

3 - erase and reformat the My Passport drive according to the screenshot.

4 - copy the image files back to the My Passport drive.

5 - erase the OWC drive and set it up as your Time Machine backup drive.

External hard drive to be uneencrypted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.