Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory Reset MacBook Air HighSeirra

I am trying to factory reset my MacBook Air 2014. I came across the problem that the AFPS format on Macintosh HD has a "bug" that does not allow you to reinstall MacOs HighSeirra from recover mode (command+R during boot). I learned from other forums that I need to reformat the HD to Mac OS Extended (journal). When erasing my internal drive and re entering disk utilities I am trying to re- format to the desired format, and I came across this error(see attachment). I tried to force unmount the disk drive through the terminal(diskutil diskUnmount force /...) but this was unsuccessful. Also for some reason I am able to enter the recover mode but not the internet recover mode(command+alt/option+R). Im not sure where to go from here, please help.

-Side bar:

I am not able to attach .jpeg of error message into this forum, if any one is aware of file type that is supported or another way to attach an attachment please let me know. For now I will include error message in text.

"Erasing Container disk1 and creating Preboot "\n" Erase process has failed. Click done to continue."

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 2:15 PM

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (will be the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

If you are disposing of the computer, then be sure to sign out of Find My Phone and your Apple ID, deauthorize the computer in iTunes before performing the above steps.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2019 2:15 PM in response to kylecorc

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (will be the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

If you are disposing of the computer, then be sure to sign out of Find My Phone and your Apple ID, deauthorize the computer in iTunes before performing the above steps.

Sep 15, 2019 3:33 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy Thank you for following up with me, I am trying to access the "Utility Window" by holding down Command-Option-R keys. I currently have a circle with a line through it and when I hold these keys down it flickers to an apple logo and back to the not symbol. I have held down the keys for over ten minutes and same thing it just flickers back and forth but no globe appears. Any suggestions?

Factory Reset MacBook Air HighSeirra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.