Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory Reset Gone Wrong - support.apple.com/mac/startup

Someone previously asked about having a folder pop-up or other unexpected failure - having tried Command + R without succesfully installing. The conversation was older so I needed to "ask a question" as I could not reply.

I bought a MacBook Air in Dec 2019 and didn't actually open the box until 18 months later (yeah, insane).

In any case, I could not get it to execute a reboot after the usual set-up (language, etc.) - I think because the OS was several versions ago. No matter what I did, no Command +R function (with power, after power, before chime, after chime) worked. I found an answer with Command+Option+Shift+R (internet recovery mode) which did work to the point that the globe appeared. However, that WiFi attempt also gave an error - the globe had a yield sign. Underneath was web address for the issue. I thought I would list that since I did not find it on my own:

support.apple.com/mac/startup

This showed several different errors that people may run into and what they can try to do about it.

Best of luck.

Posted on May 14, 2021 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 1:52 AM

There are a few different screens that may appear when the Mac fails to start up all the way.

And some of these imply the same support page instructions. But they don't use same one.

"A globe with an exclamation point means that your Mac tried to

start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet, but couldn't..."

Learn what to do if your Mac can't start up from macOS Recovery.

About macOS recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - internet recovery, etc

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314#internet

➢ If you see the 'globe and alert' symbol, try these solutions:

• Make sure that your Mac can connect to the internet. If you're not prompted to choose

a Wi-Fi network during startup, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu , if available.

• Press Command-R at startup to try using the built-in Recovery system instead of internet Recovery.
  • Connect to the internet using Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, or vice versa.
  • Connect to the internet from a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
  • Your network configuration might not allow the internet access that macOS Recovery needs.
  • Try again later, because the issue might be temporary.
  • Start up from another disk or volume, if available, or use a bootable installer to reinstall macOS.

Read the entire about macOS Recovery article to see 'other screen' details.

Or: you could try these instruction options:

• How to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

There may be a need to 'erase/install' macOS.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 1:52 AM in response to HASupport

There are a few different screens that may appear when the Mac fails to start up all the way.

And some of these imply the same support page instructions. But they don't use same one.

"A globe with an exclamation point means that your Mac tried to

start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet, but couldn't..."

Learn what to do if your Mac can't start up from macOS Recovery.

About macOS recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - internet recovery, etc

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314#internet

➢ If you see the 'globe and alert' symbol, try these solutions:

• Make sure that your Mac can connect to the internet. If you're not prompted to choose

a Wi-Fi network during startup, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu , if available.

• Press Command-R at startup to try using the built-in Recovery system instead of internet Recovery.
  • Connect to the internet using Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, or vice versa.
  • Connect to the internet from a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
  • Your network configuration might not allow the internet access that macOS Recovery needs.
  • Try again later, because the issue might be temporary.
  • Start up from another disk or volume, if available, or use a bootable installer to reinstall macOS.

Read the entire about macOS Recovery article to see 'other screen' details.

Or: you could try these instruction options:

• How to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

There may be a need to 'erase/install' macOS.

Factory Reset Gone Wrong - support.apple.com/mac/startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.