Everything was Wiped on my MacBook Air, Now I'm stuck In factory reset mode!

Recently, I got a 2011 MacBook Air (Model A1369). I found out that the person who owned it before me had erased the main disk and was in factory reset mode / macOS Utilities. For some reason, whenever I try to reinstall MacOS it ends up, after a period of time, looking really close to installing but then giving an error: "The recovery server could not be contacted" or "something went wrong while preparing the installation." I have tried running first aid and reseting the NVRAM. It doesn't work with the Command + R, Command + Option + R, or any other key combination like that. Whenever I try to boot up the computer normally, and where I should get the Startup Disk screen, I get a grey folder with a question mark. The date and time are set. Also, I am connected to the Internet. Does anyone have a solution or an idea of what to do next?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 8:47 AM

Hi SnowFox_,

If you have access to a second Mac, you can make a bootable installer for macOS High Sierra (the last supported macOS for your model) for your 2011 MacBook Air: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Similar questions

3 replies

Everything was Wiped on my MacBook Air, Now I'm stuck In factory reset mode!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.