Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't reinstall MacBook Air macOS in recovery mode

I have a MacBook Air and after about 10 minutes of sitting idol the screen goes dark except for a flashing folder with a question mark.

When I try reinstalling macOS in recovery mode, no disk shows up to install it on. Can anyone help? I use my mac daily and this takes up sometimes hours of my day power cycling my mac trying to get it to be useable.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 3:03 PM

First. What year MacBook Air is it. What Operating system are you running. If you have access to another MacBook or Mac> you could download to it an installer and make a usb boot installer.It would've disk utilities option on it and you could try to repairr your drive. Still might not work. But if you did replace the drive you would at least have a way to reinstall.How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support To create a usb installer.How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 3:03 PM in response to Angry Shark

First. What year MacBook Air is it. What Operating system are you running. If you have access to another MacBook or Mac> you could download to it an installer and make a usb boot installer.It would've disk utilities option on it and you could try to repairr your drive. Still might not work. But if you did replace the drive you would at least have a way to reinstall.How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support To create a usb installer.How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Feb 16, 2022 4:31 PM in response to Angry Shark

In looking up your MacBook, I found that the internal drive as well as the memory is soldered in. Which means it is not upgradable. So if using a bootable flash drive will not bring it back to life. You would have to get Apple to replace the drive. Which would most likely also include the logic board. I have seen used ones on eBay for $200.00 to $350.00. but you would have to get someone to install it. Apple has a flat rate charge for doing it if you ask. But you would have to ship it to them. Ether directly or thru the Apple Store.As to wether any local computer shop would be willing to remove an solder in another flash drive I could not say. It could possibly be used with an external bootable drive. When using internet recovery, which is Command Option R, It will install whatever operating system came with it or the closest one available.

I can't reinstall MacBook Air macOS in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.