Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently bought a MacBook Pro and it keeps shutting down even though it has battery and it only turns back on if I plug it in what should I do?

I recently bought a MacBook Pro and it keeps shutting down even though it has battery and it only turns back on if I plug it in what should I do?

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 7:52 PM

Then I'd guess it to be a hardware issue; you can start a support request by going to the contact support link in the upper right corner and start a hardware issue case or take it to your nearest Apple store for an assessment. If you just bought it, you are covered under the warranty.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2019 7:52 PM in response to Maria1260

Then I'd guess it to be a hardware issue; you can start a support request by going to the contact support link in the upper right corner and start a hardware issue case or take it to your nearest Apple store for an assessment. If you just bought it, you are covered under the warranty.

Sep 15, 2019 8:08 PM in response to Maria1260

It appears they may be shipping these new computers with special settings that run them for a while to burn-in at the factory, then shut down at about half-battery -- perfect for shipping safely by air.

But NOT perfect for trouble-free operation once in your hands.

You need to plug it in and let it charge all night, then do an SMC reset after it has charged up completely.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 29, 2019 7:01 PM in response to Mariana_456

Plug it in and let it charge all night. It will NEVER over-charge.

Then do an SMC Reset, following the correct procedure religiously, including the use of keys on the specified side of the keyboard. The keys with the same labels on the other side are not "wired in" and will not do the job.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

There is no penalty for doing the reset procedure multiple times.

Oct 30, 2019 2:36 AM in response to Maria1260

After 5 days on searching on the internet about my MacBook keeps shutting down I find the solution even when I spoked to Apple support they couldn't find the solution just go to Apple store and they have to diagnose you Macbook, so I opened the back cover and unplug the battery slot and connect the power charger to do SMC "option+control+Shift and power bottom" release it after 10 Second you gonna see the Orange light turn to Green and Orange back unplug the power cable and plug the battery slot and you should good to go and now my MacBook working fine thank God hope gonna work with u.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.