Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brand new MacBook Pro keeps shutting down and restarting.

Every time I leave it for a few mins, it shuts down. and when I click any button, it restarts. This is a brand new latest model I just got TODAY! WTF?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 10:55 PM

wizardrobin419 Said:

"My brand new MacBook Pro keeps shutting down and restarting. Every time I leave it for a few mins, it shuts down. and when I click any button, it restarts. This is a brand new latest model I just got TODAY![...]"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

I. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Keyboard) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

B. Troubleshooting Power:

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2020 10:55 PM in response to wizardrobin419

wizardrobin419 Said:

"My brand new MacBook Pro keeps shutting down and restarting. Every time I leave it for a few mins, it shuts down. and when I click any button, it restarts. This is a brand new latest model I just got TODAY![...]"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

I. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Keyboard) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

B. Troubleshooting Power:

Aug 22, 2020 10:56 PM in response to wizardrobin419

wizardrobin419 Said:

"My brand new MacBook Pro keeps shutting down and restarting. Every time I leave it for a few mins, it shuts down. and when I click any button, it restarts. This is a brand new latest model I just got TODAY!"

-------

Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

The the above does not work, then contact Apple. Request a swapout, and to have it looked at. You have a one year out-of-the box limited-warranty. So, if this is a faulty device, request apple to send it. You said “recently,” my my question is: How old is this Mac? If it is purchased from Apple, and has been less than 14 day since the transaction went through, then contact Apple. Request either a swapout, or full refund.

Note:

If more than 14 days, You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty. So, contact Apple Support and request a swap-out. Right now, there is Send-in Service, available, if no Apple Store is open.

Apple Contact Us:

--- Contact Us - Choose Locations

--- USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE

--- Proceed from there as Necessary

How Send-In Service would Work:

1. They’d: ship you a box
  2. You’d: ship it back
  3. They’d: look at it
  4. You’d: get a new one, if approved.

NOTE:

Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls are taking a bit linger to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with you. :)

Aug 23, 2020 8:59 AM in response to wizardrobin419

With the regular one year warranty, Apple will repair under warranty - they will not swap it immediately just because you ask for it. After the initial 14 day return period, they will attempt a minimum of three repairs/replacements of the same part. If it still does not work, they will consider another repair or possibly a replacement device. So, start a repair ticket by clicking the contact support link in the upper right corner.

Aug 23, 2020 9:08 AM in response to wizardrobin419

wizardrobin419 wrote:

Every time I leave it for a few mins, it shuts down. and when I click any button, it restarts. This is a brand new latest model I just got TODAY! ***?

Return it for one that works out of the box. There should be zero issues with a new machine

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Aug 23, 2020 12:10 PM in response to babowa

Completely forgot to add an important detail:

Apple does not "swap out" machines you return within 14 days of purchase. The terms are just that: you can return it. You can then opt to buy another - or not. There is no "swap out".

A replacement (or swap out) is only done - if necessary - during the Applecare warranty period if the problem cannot be repaired. You will get a replacement device, usually a refurb unit of exactly the same specs as the originally purchased product.

My brand new MacBook Pro keeps shutting down and restarting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.