Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to internet after power outage

Hi, Yesterday I had a power outage. After power was restored, I can't connect to the internet on my iMac. Both ethernet and wifi networks don't work. Tried rebooting modem and router. I CAN connect with another computer though. Also, and that's the strange thing, when I use a VPN app (Windscribe) and connect the iMac to a vpn network, the internet does work. When disconnecting from VPN, internet is not working again. Help anyone? Thanks!

I'm on iMac os x 10.11.6

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 11:12 AM

I see some definite issues and also some very possible issues. First lets do a little education.

Mac OS is EXTREMELY secure and will remain so if simply kept up to date and otherwise left alone. Mac OS does not benefit from nor does it require any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party "maintenance" apps.

You have CleanMyMac installed, this is considered malware by most experienced users on these forums. This may be the sole cause of your problem. To test, locate the the uninstall instructions the developer has and uninstall CMM and then test. If your system stabilizes then you found the problem. Even if you find this is not the problem, DO NOT re-install it or anything similar!

Next I see you don't backup regularly this is a bad mistake and will result in lost data. Connect your Time Machine backup EHD and let it run as it should!

Next, I see you are running short of RAM which is unfortunate, please begin using Activity Monitor (Applications-Utilities-Activity Monitor) to manage your RAM. You cannot upgrade the RAM on your computer so you have what you have. If you have never used AM, please refer to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464 for assistance.

Next, I see you have a Wacom device connected. These have created issues like what you have described. At the very least ensure your Wacom software is up-to-date and if that is not the problem, you may have to uninstall it.

Finally I see you are using a hack called Paragon which is used by some to share an external HD between a PC and Mac. Remember this is a hack and at the very least it should be kept up-to-date!

So you have a bit of a laundry list to work on.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2019 11:12 AM in response to shakob

I see some definite issues and also some very possible issues. First lets do a little education.

Mac OS is EXTREMELY secure and will remain so if simply kept up to date and otherwise left alone. Mac OS does not benefit from nor does it require any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party "maintenance" apps.

You have CleanMyMac installed, this is considered malware by most experienced users on these forums. This may be the sole cause of your problem. To test, locate the the uninstall instructions the developer has and uninstall CMM and then test. If your system stabilizes then you found the problem. Even if you find this is not the problem, DO NOT re-install it or anything similar!

Next I see you don't backup regularly this is a bad mistake and will result in lost data. Connect your Time Machine backup EHD and let it run as it should!

Next, I see you are running short of RAM which is unfortunate, please begin using Activity Monitor (Applications-Utilities-Activity Monitor) to manage your RAM. You cannot upgrade the RAM on your computer so you have what you have. If you have never used AM, please refer to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464 for assistance.

Next, I see you have a Wacom device connected. These have created issues like what you have described. At the very least ensure your Wacom software is up-to-date and if that is not the problem, you may have to uninstall it.

Finally I see you are using a hack called Paragon which is used by some to share an external HD between a PC and Mac. Remember this is a hack and at the very least it should be kept up-to-date!

So you have a bit of a laundry list to work on.

Sep 16, 2019 6:03 AM in response to shakob

Please post an EtreCheck report of your system and we can look for any obvious issues. Please click the link, watch the slideshow to learn how to use the tool and download and run the free version of the app and then post the complete report it produces as your reply to this message. 

When you have run the report and are ready to reply to this message please attach the report. You will see a screen shot below that indicates where to click in your reply message.

Sep 16, 2019 11:17 AM in response to shakob

Since you have an iMac, I assume you're connecting to your own WiFi network to connect to the internet.

If you're not using a VPN to connect to a secure, private network (e.g. your employer), then using a public VPN service such as you are not only does not protect your privacy, it actually compromises it.

Get rid of the VPN.

Can't connect to internet after power outage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.