Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding recently created files

I do a lot of exporting to PDF and PNG. Since the last update, Mac OS no longer shows the files that have been recently created but not opened yet in the “Recents” folder of Finder. A small but annoying inconvenience. Especially if I am exporting these documents to different folders and want to then drag them all into my Google Drive. Anyone know if it’s possible to change a setting back to the old way?

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 11:14 AM

Luis suggested a smart folder which is exactly what I do. Like you, I create a number of images which will find their way into my curricula - presentations, tests, and handouts. Here's a screenshot of an example:

I started by opening the folder I save my files to. I use a temporary folder so for this example I used the Downloads folder. Then I selected Smart Folder from the File menu of Finder. At that point you'll see a + button where Save is under the search criteria. I clicked on it and selected the Created Date and choose my time frame. Then I chose Kind and selected Image. Save it and by default the Smart folder will appear in the sidebar. (convenient)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2019 11:14 AM in response to elilitwin

Luis suggested a smart folder which is exactly what I do. Like you, I create a number of images which will find their way into my curricula - presentations, tests, and handouts. Here's a screenshot of an example:

I started by opening the folder I save my files to. I use a temporary folder so for this example I used the Downloads folder. Then I selected Smart Folder from the File menu of Finder. At that point you'll see a + button where Save is under the search criteria. I clicked on it and selected the Created Date and choose my time frame. Then I chose Kind and selected Image. Save it and by default the Smart folder will appear in the sidebar. (convenient)

Sep 16, 2019 9:47 AM in response to elilitwin

elilitwin wrote:

I do a lot of exporting to PDF and PNG. Since the last update, Mac OS no longer shows the files that have been recently created but not opened yet in the “Recents” folder of Finder. A small but annoying inconvenience. Especially if I am exporting these documents to different folders and want to then drag them all into my Google Drive. Anyone know if it’s possible to change a setting back to the old way?

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-apps-files-servers-mac-mchlp2724/mac

Finding recently created files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.