You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal disk has disappeared

My 2017 MacBook Air was having problems, so I followed instructions to erase the disc and reinstall macOS. Then it told me that my disc was corrupted, so I should have Disk Utility repair it. Went through this a couple of times, and now macOS Utilities shows no disc at all, just a disc image of a macOS Base System. So I can't reinstall macOS because when I try, it says "Select the disk where you want to install macOS," but it doesn't show any disk to select. What now?

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 9:42 PM

7 replies

Sep 25, 2019 11:24 PM in response to HWTech

When I clicked on "Show all devices," the SSD did show up. Then it let me set a disk ("Steve's HD") However, I still cannot reinstall the macOS. It starts to restore, and after about ten minutes I get a message that says "The macOS installation couldn't be completed. If you continue having a problem [I have tried several times with the same result] the installation log may help you diagnose the problem." The installation log is very very long, and I can't begin to make sense of it. I clicked the button on the installation log that says "Send to Apple," but have received no response as yet.

Sep 26, 2019 5:30 PM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks for the suggestion, Lexiepex. I tried it: ran FirstAid three times, then partitioned the disk. That seemed to work OK. Then I tried reinstalling macOS in the new partition. The installation ran a lot longer than it has on previous tries, and I was feeling optimistic, but then I got the "installation couldn't be completed" message again. I send the whole installation log to Apple and asked them what to do, but they haven't answered from the last log I sent in several days ago. Do they answer on those messages?

Sep 26, 2019 9:48 PM in response to drstevea

drstevea wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, Lexiepex. I tried it: ran FirstAid three times, then partitioned the disk. That seemed to work OK. Then I tried reinstalling macOS in the new partition. The installation ran a lot longer than it has on previous tries, and I was feeling optimistic, but then I got the "installation couldn't be completed" message again.

I just had a laptop which had similar issues. While I was able to reinstall, I believe the SSD or Logic Board has a problem.

I send the whole installation log to Apple and asked them what to do, but they haven't answered from the last log I sent in several days ago. Do they answer on those messages?

No, Apple does not respond. They just use those logs to try and fix thing in future updates.

Sep 26, 2019 11:53 PM in response to drstevea

"Do they answer on those messages?" Depending where you have sent it, I guess.

So it is a bit better but not completely.

A very good and documented info app about disks is DriveDx you can download it here:

binaryfruit.com

Do not download from the Appstore because that version will not check external disks, and it is not free.

DriveDx gives very detailed information on disks and what is good what is wrong.

Download it and use it, read the explanations on the information by hovering the mouse over it.

The first 10 (or so) runs are free.

Internal disk has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.