Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS-DOS Games on Mojave and beyond…

Greetings!

I am currently running MacOS Mojave on a MacBook Pro (mid-2012). I would like to upgrade to MacOS Catalina in the autumn. I am aware that MacOS Catalina will not run 32 bit apps at all. I have no work critical 32 bit applications.

Question:- I would like to run old DOS games with Mac OS Mojave and subsequently Catalina. There is an application called Boxer which runs DOS games perfectly on Mojave and earlier; however this is 32 bit. I have e-mailed the developer but not yet had a response. Thus, I am interested in work arounds…

Thoughts for a solution:- Windows - I have a Windows 7 OEM disc, could that run via Boot Camp on Mojave and beyond…? I'd prefer to not run Windows at all, but will if it lets me run my old MS-DOS games. Are there any other possible solutions that users know of please…?

[ MacBook Pro (mid-2012) model 9,2 — Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 ]

Many thanks indeed,

CK-Mac

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 10:29 AM

Greetings!

I apologise for taking so long to reply and thank you for your replies. I looked at DOS Box but could not get it to run properly using Catalina — it probably could run, but still. I considered a virtual machine but decided against that… Instead I decided a clean install of Catalina was necessary any case. Thus I chose a small 20GB partition of Mountain Lion to run Boxer and my DOS games; this partition is used for nothing else and the internet is disabled too as the operating system is so old nowadays. The rest of my hard drive is partitioned for Catalina and is use for everything else, work, photographs, music and all, but mostly work(!)

Many thanks and best wishes,

CK-Mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 10:29 AM in response to John Lockwood

Greetings!

I apologise for taking so long to reply and thank you for your replies. I looked at DOS Box but could not get it to run properly using Catalina — it probably could run, but still. I considered a virtual machine but decided against that… Instead I decided a clean install of Catalina was necessary any case. Thus I chose a small 20GB partition of Mountain Lion to run Boxer and my DOS games; this partition is used for nothing else and the internet is disabled too as the operating system is so old nowadays. The rest of my hard drive is partitioned for Catalina and is use for everything else, work, photographs, music and all, but mostly work(!)

Many thanks and best wishes,

CK-Mac

Sep 19, 2019 3:32 AM in response to Community User

Apple do not support Windows7 via Boot Camp on newer Macs. I would not say it is completely impossible to do but it will be harder, in any case there are probably better solutions.

Probably the easiest option would be to create a Mac virtual machine running an older version of macOS i.e. Mojave or earlier and to continue to use Boxer within that. VirtualBox can do this although it is not the best.

If you were to use 'real' Windows then doing this via a virtual machine rather than Boot Camp would again be better.

MS-DOS Games on Mojave and beyond…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.