Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1 Mac, multiple users

My girlfriend and I are about to share my Macbook. I was wondering if making another user account for her will allow her to use a clean and fresh Mail app as well as folders, files, etc... There are a couple apps I'd like to share over both accounts. Just wondering about the flexibility of multiple accounts on one Mac. I can't fine anything online except HOW to create a new account but nothing about the features or any documentation. Thanks.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 10:57 AM

Make sure you both understand that any "admin" type user can access any files, no matter who the owner is. Since you're the original user, your account is an "admin" type account -- there must always be at least one "admin" account. You can make her account an "admin" one as well, so that you both have equal access to everything, but that is up to the two of you to decide.

You can see which accounts are "admin" accounts in the System Preferences "Users & Groups" pane (the list of users is on the left of that pane and each one is either "Admin" or "Standard" or "Managed with Parental Controls").

You can also create a group that contain both your accounts so that you can easily share things between the two of you.

Take a look at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-mtusr001/mac for more info about user and group creation and management.

Good luck...

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2019 10:57 AM in response to knurd

Make sure you both understand that any "admin" type user can access any files, no matter who the owner is. Since you're the original user, your account is an "admin" type account -- there must always be at least one "admin" account. You can make her account an "admin" one as well, so that you both have equal access to everything, but that is up to the two of you to decide.

You can see which accounts are "admin" accounts in the System Preferences "Users & Groups" pane (the list of users is on the left of that pane and each one is either "Admin" or "Standard" or "Managed with Parental Controls").

You can also create a group that contain both your accounts so that you can easily share things between the two of you.

Take a look at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-mtusr001/mac for more info about user and group creation and management.

Good luck...

Sep 18, 2019 11:03 AM in response to knurd

Think of your Mac as an apartment complex and an account as one apartment. Each renter can have his/her own furniture (documents), hang up pictures on the way (desktop pictures and the icons on the desktop), and set the heat or air to their preferred setting (various configurations). However all the renters can use the pool, parking lot, and exercise room. (The applications).

1 Mac, multiple users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.