Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t download apps without a card on file

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 1:02 PM

Phil0124 wrote:
You need a valid payment method on file to make use of the store services including downloading free apps.

You don't necessarily need a payment method on file (I don't have one and have many free, and only free, apps).

Create or use your Apple ID without a payment method - https://support.apple.com/HT204034 - "When you use your Apple ID to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store for the first time, you're asked to enter a payment method so that you can purchase items from the store. Follow these steps if you don't want to associate a payment method with your account."

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2019 1:02 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:
You need a valid payment method on file to make use of the store services including downloading free apps.

You don't necessarily need a payment method on file (I don't have one and have many free, and only free, apps).

Create or use your Apple ID without a payment method - https://support.apple.com/HT204034 - "When you use your Apple ID to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store for the first time, you're asked to enter a payment method so that you can purchase items from the store. Follow these steps if you don't want to associate a payment method with your account."

Sep 18, 2019 1:17 PM in response to nekeisha240

That is correct. You need a valid payment method on file to make use of the store services including downloading free apps.

You'll need to add one and verify it. Once its verified, and has no pending charges on it, it can be removed, and should not ask for it again.

See here: Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods - Apple Support

and here: If you can't remove your last payment method or use no payment method with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.