Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not download apps from the AppStore. They are free. Do I need a card on file?

I just got my iPad. I do not want a credit card in file. And I can not download apps. It keep spinning like it’s downloading but never returns an error!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 8:54 AM

Yes, you need a valid payment method tied to the app store to download apps, even free apps. Most apps offer in-app purchases, which is how app developers make money who offer free apps. You don't have to buy anything, just have a valid payment method on your account.

3 replies

Jul 6, 2022 6:04 PM in response to mwcliffo

Apple doesn't charge anything to your card UNLESS you approve a charge for something you wish to purchase. The Card on your account is very safe and very secure. But a card or funds in your account is a requirement and until you either add a credit card to your account or put money in your account, you won't be able to download any app which include in-app purchases, which is pretty much most free apps.

I have had a credit card tied to my account for over a decade and have never once had any issue with charges I didn't authorize.

I can not download apps from the AppStore. They are free. Do I need a card on file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.