Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Books app works with with Apple Pencil?

I'm seeing inconsistent answers on the web, so I thought I would ask here. With physical textbooks, I can, of course, mark up the text as desired - circle words, underline phrases, or make notes in the margins. I want to do the same in ebooks (not PDF's).

I have a new iPad Pro running the latest iOS.. If I open an ebook in the Apple Books app, can I use Apple Pencil to annotate text within the app?

And similarly, if I open an ebook in the Kindle app, can I use Apple Pencil to annotate the text?

Just trying to get a definitive answer before ordering an Apple Pencil. Thanks.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 3:58 PM

Hello,

In Apple Books, Markup (the feature you are describing) only works with PDF documents and not with a regular book. I too would like this feature. I highly encourage you to submit feedback to Apple.

Apple Product Feedback

2 replies

Oct 19, 2019 8:12 PM in response to pomme4moi

I submitted this feature request to Apple.

Thinking about it a bit more, the Pencil might not work with ebooks because the user can change font size and style, so maybe it’s hard for Apple to keep the annotation linked to the pertinent text. This could be solved, however, by allowing the user to “lock” the ebook text to a fixed size for annotation.

iOS Books app works with with Apple Pencil?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.