Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can Quick Start be used to migrate the contents of iPhone 5s to iPhone 11?

Hello,

I would like to know if Quick Start can be used to migrate the contents of iPhone 5s to iphone 11.

Although Apple Quick Start guide states "both devices are running iOS 12.4 or later" but this is not clear if one device can be on iOS 12.4.1 and the other device on iOS 13. Given iphone 5s cannot be upgraded to iOS 13, how can I know if iPhone 5s contents can be upgraded to iPhone 11?

Thanks for your help.

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5s

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 4:07 AM

Yes, it can be. It should go fine but please, do not erase your iPhone 5S until the restore process is complete. Once you make sure that all you wanted was transferred on your iPhone 11, then erase your iPhone 5S.

7 replies

Sep 19, 2019 8:13 AM in response to Michael Black

@Michael Black, so porting iOS 12.4.1 contents to iOS 13 is fine but will it work using iTune restore instead of Quick Start?

It is possible to restore iphone 5s iOS 12.4.1 backup via iTune to another iphone 5s on iOS older than 12.4.1 by upgrading the older version to 12.4.1, but it is not clear if iTune allows restoring iphone 5s iOS 12.4.1 backup to iphone X or 11 on iOS 13

Sep 19, 2019 3:25 PM in response to as00tan

You can use QuickStart, an iCloud backup or an iTunes backup to migrate an iOS 12 device to an iOS 13 device.

What cannot do, by any means is migrate an iOS 13 device or backup to a device running iOS 12. In that situation, you would have to first update the iOS 12 device to at least (or newer) the version of iOS 13 the backup device is using.

Sep 20, 2019 3:50 AM in response to Michael Black

Thanks @MichaelBlack. Glad to learn iTunes backup can be used.

Per an Apple support person, only QuickStart can be used in my case, because my iTunes backup of iPhone 5s is on iOS 12.4.1 (and not upgradable to iOS 13) and the new iPhone X or 11 I plan to buy will be on iOS 13, making it impossible to restore the iTune backup to the new phone.

I will report back once I have tried the options, so others who face the same issue can benefit from this article. Thanks again.

Sep 20, 2019 5:34 AM in response to as00tan

The Apple support person is incorrect. You can indeed restore a backup made with a device running iOS 12 to either iCloud or iTunes and then restore that backup to a device running iOS 13.

The reverse would not work - you can’t restore an iOS 13 backup to a device running iOS 12.

So as I already said, you can use QuickStart, or an iCloud or iTunes backup of your iOS 12 iPhone 5s to setup you new iPhone running iOS 13. People have been setting up their new devices with newer iOS releases using backups from their older devices running older releases of iOS since the iPhone was introduced in 2007.

can Quick Start be used to migrate the contents of iPhone 5s to iPhone 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.