Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote - Will Not Open on Mac Air (13 in - 201 7) - macOS Mojave Version 10.14.16

I am unable to open Keynote on my computer. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling. When I click the application to open it, it opens finder as if I need to open a saved Keynote presentation to open the program. In other words, I am unable to open Keynote itself and create a brand new presentation from my computer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hardware/Software being used: Mac Air (13 in - 201 7) - macOS Mojave Version 10.14.16

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 12:44 PM

Hello mcintoshj55.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that you're unable to launch Keynote on your MacBook Air. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved so far! I'm happy to help.

By any chance are you using iCloud Drive with Keynote? If so, when you click to open Keynote check the lower left corner of the window that pops-up and see if you notice a 'New Document' button showing there. That would be the button you would want to click on if it is showing. You should also see a 'Cancel' button in the lower right. If you click on that then you can select 'File>New...' in the upper left of the window that loads and start a new document. The following article has some additional information:

Keynote for Mac: Use iCloud Drive with Keynote

If you are not using iCloud or you are not seeing the options listed above, I recommend testing the issue in safe mode. Starting in safe mode allows your Mac to run certain checks, remove caches, and prevent login items from automatically launching. This can isolate possible third party issues. Use the steps and information in the link below for assistance with safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, test in another user account. This will help determine if the issue is user specific or system wide.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know the results. Please include specific error messages and any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2019 12:44 PM in response to mcintoshj55

Hello mcintoshj55.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that you're unable to launch Keynote on your MacBook Air. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved so far! I'm happy to help.

By any chance are you using iCloud Drive with Keynote? If so, when you click to open Keynote check the lower left corner of the window that pops-up and see if you notice a 'New Document' button showing there. That would be the button you would want to click on if it is showing. You should also see a 'Cancel' button in the lower right. If you click on that then you can select 'File>New...' in the upper left of the window that loads and start a new document. The following article has some additional information:

Keynote for Mac: Use iCloud Drive with Keynote

If you are not using iCloud or you are not seeing the options listed above, I recommend testing the issue in safe mode. Starting in safe mode allows your Mac to run certain checks, remove caches, and prevent login items from automatically launching. This can isolate possible third party issues. Use the steps and information in the link below for assistance with safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, test in another user account. This will help determine if the issue is user specific or system wide.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know the results. Please include specific error messages and any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

Keynote - Will Not Open on Mac Air (13 in - 201 7) - macOS Mojave Version 10.14.16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.