Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade Series 4 Watch to WatchOS 6 with iPhone 5S

I have a Series 4 Watch and iPhone 5S. When I try to update to WatchOS 6, via the Watch app on iPhone, the app says "To update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone" "Go to Software Update settings".

Running Software Update on the iPhone says "iOS 12.4.1 Your software is up to date.

If iOS 13 does not support 5S then how do I upgrade my Series 4 Watch to WatchOS 6.

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 4:41 PM

See “Check compatibility with WatchOS 6” here. You need an iPhone 6S or later to get started. Later, to update from WatchOS 6, you won’t need an iPhone.

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

10 replies

Sep 19, 2019 4:52 PM in response to David Auckland

David Auckland wrote:

Owners of Series 4 Watches less than a year old should not have to buy a new iPhone just to upgrade the Series 4 Watch to WatchOS 6.

If I were in your situation, I would visit an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service Center. Perhaps they could supply a quick iPhone pairing to enable that WatchOS 6 upgrade for you.

How to upgrade Series 4 Watch to WatchOS 6 with iPhone 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.