Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios 13 no notifications on carplay???

So unless I turn on the show on carplay crap for pop ups on iMessage I don’t get my usually ding when phone audio is playing in the car. Apps like Uber and such will only make noise if they are the on top program. Notification bar still pops up but no sound will play if it’s connected to the car. How can Apple miss such a horrible bug? The fact that iMessage can’t even ding when plugged into a car is bad.

no it’s not on silent. Also that do not disturb stuff isn’t turned on. Double checked both of those.

if I’m in a phone call when those notifications pop up in the back they do make notification sounds through the car audio as they should.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 4:46 PM

24 replies

Nov 27, 2019 6:52 AM in response to kmuter

the banner works for me now AND the sounds. So after I plugged in my phone I tried using the volume buttons on my phone, which does nothing and I’m sure most of you tried. So I went into actual sound settings and my volume for some reason turned all the way down by default when I plug in. I turned it up and then BAM I have sounds. So now I see banners and hear my notifications while driving.

Dec 9, 2019 9:28 PM in response to KennyInfinity

Check your settings on your phone. If you’re volume is turned down prior to plugging into the Apple car play then you won’t hear the notifications. Go into settings then sound & haptics. Then uncheck “change with buttons” and see if the slider bar goes down. If it does turn it up and tap the button again and make sure that is up all the way too. This corrected it for me and now I hear everything perfectly. I’ve never had an issue not seeing alerts.

Jan 29, 2020 5:14 PM in response to rocco178

Yeah I just went to my car to play around with the settings. I had Spotify playing music in Apple CarPlay, sent myself a text from my iPad and then my phone alert sounds came through the car speakers and had no effect on the music level.

If I pressed on the little banner that pops up so I can listen to the text, the music reduces slightly so I can hear the message (through my car speakers) and then goes back to the full song volume when I’m done.

No alerts or sounds play through my phone at any time while I have my phone plugged in.

Not sure what other settings it could be on your phone. Before I plugged my phone in to my car I made sure the volume was all the way up and the mute switch wasn’t on. Plugged in and good to go. If I put my switch on mute while plugged in then I hear no text alerts.

Mar 14, 2020 1:53 PM in response to Makuzi

I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of people with the same issues but no one drives the same car as me or my husband so I’m not sure if it’s only affecting non-civics. Both of our cars using Apple car play have no issues with audible alerts whatsoever. I thought Apple CarPlay would be the same no matter what vehicle you drive, but it seems that it may be different. I still see videos posted within the last week of the issue so doubt Apple is in a hurry to fix it.

Mar 14, 2020 2:33 PM in response to xBadlyDrawnBoy

You do have a point. We all have different vehicles.

I did some more research. I drive a BMW and according to the driver forums, notification sounds are not allowed through CarPlay because of “security concerns” . Not sure if that’s true, but it seems like all those folks are in agreement that message notifications will not work in BMWs.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Mar 14, 2020 2:43 PM in response to renteria

Oh wow I didn’t even know that, but it makes sense though. My husband and I are driving civics so maybe Honda doesn't care about the security stuff? If so though it might be why a lot of people can’t and probably won’t get it fixed if it’s a security issue. I haven't found a clear reason why it works for us and no one else in this thread, but that could be it! May not be an Apple issue at all.

Ios 13 no notifications on carplay???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.