Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watchOS 6 and 3rd Party Chargers Issue

Hello!

Just wanted to check in with others - it seems like watchOS 6 might have broken support for 3rd party wireless chargers. Anybody else noticed that as well?

I had been using this 3-in-1 Baseus model for a while now without issues, but unfortunately my watch (Series 4) barely charged at all overnight after the latest update. I tried different bricks, including the iPad Pro 11 one, to no avail. Upon closer inspection earlier today, I noticed it keeps "restarting" the charge cycle every 10 seconds or so.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Jose H Pina

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 4:14 AM

32 replies

Oct 1, 2019 3:33 AM in response to Helbert Pina

#UPDATE

It looks like watchOS 6.0.1 (that dropped last night/early today, not sure) might have fixed the issue. I have updated it earlier today, and left the watch on my 3rd party charger for about a minute before leaving for work and it didn't show the intermittent issue. I will only be able to know for sure tomorrow, after leaving it on the charger all night long, but I'm hopeful. Fingers crossed!

Oct 3, 2019 2:31 PM in response to Helbert Pina

That is because Apple will make changes to the iOS that have to do with interfacing with the chipsets in MFi cables/chargers/accessories. If you have a certified MFi charger that is not usually and issue as Apple communicates the changes/codes to the MFi companies. If you are using stolen information, which Baseus is, then they will not be notified and they will have to steal some new codes to make their future cables/accessories work correctly. They also wrong state in their site that their accessories are certified. Nice company.

Oct 3, 2019 2:40 PM in response to deggie

I had absolutely no idea how complex Apple Watch actually is - I though it was just a good old QI charger in the little puck! Thank you for the explanation! It's a big mess... I guess there's little to no chance the charger I purchased will ever work with my Apple Watch again, then... :(

One question: is that the same for the wireless AirPods case as well? It seems to be working fine for now, as well as my 11 Pro, so at least I only lost the functionality for 1 out of 3 devices...

Oct 3, 2019 2:42 PM in response to Helbert Pina

No it isn't the same for the Wireless case, that works with a Qi charger. The Apple Watch puck is a modified Qi charger. The Made for MFi issue and cables precedes the Apple Watch. If you use Google and do a search you will find people complaining about knock-off cables that no longer worked with their iPhones after and Apple iOS update, this isn't the first time this has occurred.

Unless Baseus used a higher grade chipset then most of the sleazy cheap companies use then no your charger will never work. But you could contact them and see if they have any plans to fix your situation. Or wait until they steal some codes and come out with a new cheap charger. Or buy one from a company that really is MFi certified.

Oct 31, 2019 5:46 AM in response to Helbert Pina

I had a third party combo charger that worked GREAT until the latest watch OS update. Now it will charge for about a minute, and then it goes into a loop of constantly starting/stopping charging. If I were prone to believing conspiracy theories, I would suspect that Apple made a change to purposely break support for third part chargers. But that's just crazy talk. What possible motive would they have for doing THAT?

Oct 31, 2019 2:06 PM in response to LordZordec

Since there are chipsets within Apple cables that also contain certain programming and code your "conspiracy" actually can be correct. Sometimes Apple does make changes that affect these to add or update features. For Apple and the 161+ companies that are in the Made for iPhone group it should not be a problem, their products should have no problem accepting the changes. For the 3rd parties that aren't part of this they have an issue, they aren't using the same chipsets and they stole their codes from one of the 161+ so theirs no longer works. To use their cables you need to buy a new cheap one each time they steal another code.

watchOS 6 and 3rd Party Chargers Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.