Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13 Video trimming issues

There should be an option to save a trimmed video as a new clip, or to permanently trim it. I know the non-destructive editing is great but since there are no options around it, everyone will now be using a lot more space in iCloud storage and on their phones. There are at least a couple of use other cases here:

1. There are multiple clips in a single long video that need to be trimmed out to a new file
  2. There is only one clip in a long file that needs to be trimmed and the rest can be thrown away.

I realize you can go to another editor, but that's what we always had so it's not an upgrade, and it's a lot more steps. All the marketing around the editor upgrade was that you no longer needed to go to an external editor, but now you actually have to go to an external editor more.

By far the worst offense though is that it's a lot ore work to keep your storage under control:

Old Workflow:

Hit Edit, drag sliders, click done. (Video saves a new clip). Delete original clip.

New Workflow:

Open iMovie app(for instance). Create project. Add video. Split start and end. Delete the parts you don't want. Go back (save). Touch "Share". Select Save. Delete project. Open Photos app. Delete original clip.

As you can see, it's not easier and if you don't do this for every video you will be using you cloud and phone storage faster. Please tell me there is a hidden setting to address this?

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 5:49 AM

12 replies

Sep 21, 2019 10:09 AM in response to STJ2019

Hello STJ2019,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I see that you have some feedback about the process of trimming and saving videos, and how it can impact the storage on your device. I would be happy to help provide options to consider.

If you have not yet updated to iOS 13, this update introduces new editing tools in the Photos app that may be what you're looking for:

Edit photos and videos on iPhone - Apple Support

In addition to the new video editing options, you can also use the iMovie video editing extension directly in the Photos app. This would allow you to trim videos without needing to take the additional steps to save a project and delete the original video:

iMovie for iOS (iPhone, iPod touch): Make quick edits to clips in Photos

If you'd like to provide additional feedback to Apple about this process, I encourage you to visit the following link:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Take care!

Sep 27, 2019 5:08 AM in response to STJ2019

I think I just found another workaround that’s actually quite fast IF you happen to have another iOS device to hand. Just AirDrop the edited clip to another iOS device, then AirDrop it back again. Takes only a couple of seconds.

This way, you can also make several clips from the original by just re-editing it and doing another share back-and-forth.

Make sure you have the ‘All Photos Data’ option switched off (as is the default) on at least one of the two devices (ideally the first one, so as to not waste time transferring all the bits you don’t want to keep anyway).

It’s obviously not perfect, as apart from the obvious inconvenience of having to rely on a second device, you loose ALL metadata, when all you’ll likely want to loose is the trimmed off video. Also, the point about "original quality" (see attached image) suggests there could be other compression drawbacks too.

Sep 24, 2019 9:37 AM in response to STJ2019

I just want to note that the "New Workflow" described does create a shortened video clip, but the video clip loses its original date/timestamp and is exported from iMovie in H.264 format, not in HEVC (even if the original was an HEVC video). All the more reason to want the old iOS 12 video trimming functionality back.

Sep 27, 2019 10:25 AM in response to rickwookie

I just tried this and it is pretty quick and easy. After importing the twice-airdropped trimmed video into Photos on Mac, it looks like the original clip's GPS location and timestamps are kept, but it the airdropping does re-encode the clip from HEVC to H.264. The re-encoding negates some of the space savings from doing the trim, but if you're trimming a large portion of the clip it's still a good workaround.

Nov 22, 2019 11:30 AM in response to STJ2019

This is absolutely infuriating, especially when you’re trying to edit clips down and down...it takes forever now that you just can’t save it as a new clip anymore. I suspect Apple did this on purpose so that they could up sell people for spending more on storage. BTW the price for a name brand micro 256GB SD card that can do 100 MB/s (fully capable of being used for editing high def video) is now less than $50. Id love to be able to have access to Apple’s internal financial data and crunch the numbers and see just how much they make simply acting as a reseller for storage. Remember too they buy those chips in bulk direct from the OEMs and pay pennies on the dollar for them... and then charge people an arm and a leg if they want more internal storage in iOS devices.

Nov 22, 2019 11:49 AM in response to ptdotme

Will AirDrop still re encode the clip if you turn on “All Photos Data” ?

might be best to just airdrop the entire clip and edit it on a laptop and then be done with it, delete the original from the iOS device after you airdrop it, so long as it’s not re-encoding it

what bites rump is though for stuff like Instagram etc that requires uploads from a mobile, you’d have to then send the edited clip back again just to post it 😂🤦‍♂️

Convoluted to say the least....

Nov 22, 2019 2:06 PM in response to Rick5676

What!? Why would they remove this feature that has been there forever, and then put it back?

I'm literally tearing my hair out trying to figure them out...

Thanks for the video though. Good news if it makes the final cut.

If the mods see that post though they are probably going to remove it...you're not allowed to talk about the b word here.

IOS 13 Video trimming issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.