Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook restarted with a ? on a file folder

I was just on the phone with apple support and they walked me through erasing my hard drive so that I can sell my macbook. The advisor said I could just power it down and it would be ready to sell. However when I went to turn it on to take some pics of it powered on, it showed a ? on a file folder.

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 5:25 PM

The procedure worked properly; since you erased the drive, there isn't an OS for the computer to boot to. If you'd like the new owner to have one preinstalled on it, restart with the Command and R keys held down(or insert a disk if you used it to erase the drive), and run the installer.

(174509)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2019 5:25 PM in response to temekugirl

The procedure worked properly; since you erased the drive, there isn't an OS for the computer to boot to. If you'd like the new owner to have one preinstalled on it, restart with the Command and R keys held down(or insert a disk if you used it to erase the drive), and run the installer.

(174509)

macbook restarted with a ? on a file folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.