Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move (not copy) photos from All Photos into separate folders

I'm trying to organize my mess of photos into folders, and remove them from the All Photos section (Yes, I get that it's supposed to be literally "All Photos".

It's super difficult and annoying to organize when I move 50 photos into an album, but they're all still there when I start working on a new album. I want to organize the All Photos section down to zero pictures at all times so that all new pictures are waiting there to be sent into folders.

Is there a simple way to do this like it's done in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtNZRU6yPi8

If not, what is the simplest option to organize photos in this manner? Even if I can create my own folder that acts like All Photos that I can maintain instead of the actual "All Photos", that would be fine. I just want it to be simple so that I can easily keep everything organized.

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 8:29 AM

It is simply not possible to do this with the predefined "All Photos" album. If you remove a photo from All Photos, it will be removed everywhere.

You could add all photos from All Photos into a new "My All Photos" album. And then organize the photos starting from your own "My All Photos". Whenever you select photos in My All Photos and add them to a different album, you can remove them afterwords from My All Photos, since it is just a regular album. Albums you create yourself can hold photos, and you can remove them again freely. You mentioned folders - in Photos the folders can only hold albums, not photos.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 8:29 AM in response to idontknowhowtoapple

It is simply not possible to do this with the predefined "All Photos" album. If you remove a photo from All Photos, it will be removed everywhere.

You could add all photos from All Photos into a new "My All Photos" album. And then organize the photos starting from your own "My All Photos". Whenever you select photos in My All Photos and add them to a different album, you can remove them afterwords from My All Photos, since it is just a regular album. Albums you create yourself can hold photos, and you can remove them again freely. You mentioned folders - in Photos the folders can only hold albums, not photos.

How to move (not copy) photos from All Photos into separate folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.