Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying GPS + Cellular Apple Watch Series 5 in the US - using it in Europe (Switzerland, Swisscom)

If you buy a US GPS + Cellular Apple Watch, is it possible to activate and use in Europe with a supported European carrier? In short, I am hoping to buy the Watch here, explain how to use it to a family member, and have them set up the cell service when they return to Switzerland.

We asked Swisscom what LTE/GSM bands they use, and they overlap with the US model here: https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/. Apple store employees aren't well equipped to answer this question (some say flat out NO - which I don't believe based on my research). Has anyone bought a recent watch, moved to Europe, and activated it with a European supported carrier? Many thanks!

Note: I understand that some of the US carriers (e.g. AT&T) don't support roaming - that is not the question here. It would be activated with a Swiss-Apple-Watch supported carrier. Thank you in advance

What else am I missing other than (1) checking out if the Swiss carrier is e-sim supported on that list and (2) if that Swiss carrier’s frequency bands are also supported by the US model = which is also true.

Apple Store manager in Miami is adamant without explanation that this wouldn’t work. Anyone have real experiences to share? E.g. moved to Europe with a cellular watch?

Also noticed that as the generations go on (Series 3 to 5) that the band frequency overlap between regions is much greater

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 12:36 PM

The carriers will most likely not touch the U.S. based Apple Watch.

Cellular Carriers that support the Apple Watch, which models, the radio frequencies each model uses, and the country where they offer service:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

This webpage lists the Apple models that each carrier will support. You will notice that the U.S. models are not supported by the European carriers.

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2019 12:36 PM in response to GregPoland

The carriers will most likely not touch the U.S. based Apple Watch.

Cellular Carriers that support the Apple Watch, which models, the radio frequencies each model uses, and the country where they offer service:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

This webpage lists the Apple models that each carrier will support. You will notice that the U.S. models are not supported by the European carriers.

Sep 24, 2019 3:36 PM in response to GregPoland

So people who speak the truth are "close-minded grumpy old guys". Interesting. It is very easy to see form the link you got here and in your other thread that it won't work and you would have to return to the US for warranty service.

But hey, go for it when you get here and help our economy. It will still work as a GPS only Watch when you get back to your home so you won't be out a lot of money.

Sep 24, 2019 3:46 PM in response to orsingerc

Radio communications are regulated differently in each country, so I won’t speculate. I know that, for example, Japan carriers do not work with US Apple Watches. From what I understand, the Watch itself isn’t picky, but carriers are, so ask your carrier.

I will say that the US device is a US-only device, and cannot be serviced by Apple in any other country. You run a huge risk of proceeding this way, and I do not believe it to be in your interests to do so.

Sep 24, 2019 3:59 PM in response to GregPoland

How do you know I won't see the money?

And yes if you do a search here you will find people who have purchased the GPS+Cellular here and tried to use it in areas other than the Americas's and the cellular did not work. And I personally know someone in the UK who took one back with him and could not get it to work.

The iPhone is a global phone and has a chipset that includes every LTE band. The Watch doesn't have room for such a chipset and does not plus it uses a different eSIM and mirrors the phone number from the iPhone, called NumberSync by some carriers.

But hey, go ahead and buy it and try it out like I said.

Sep 24, 2019 4:01 PM in response to GregPoland

This forum is littered with posts from users that purchased an Apple Watch in another country, and now cannot use the cellular portion when they went to another country. In some cases they purchased the Apple Watch on vacation, and in some cases they were living in one country, and relocated to another.

If you search, you will find sufficient examples of Apple Watches for one region not working in another. We have learned from the suffering of others. And we try very hard to use that knowledge to prevent others from suffering the same fate.

Sep 24, 2019 4:16 PM in response to GregPoland

There is absolutely no difference between the modem chipset used in the Series 4 and Series 5 just like the processors are identical in both series. And Apple already updated the link showing model numbers available, carriers and regions for the Series 5. You are the one who is spreading disinformation. If someone reading your advice here buys one and it doesn't work you should reimburse them.

Show me anywhere that is says the Series 5 supports more bands? In the teardown that has been done it shows the exact same chipset, how did they add bands to that?

But even if it did work you would still have to return to the US for service eliminating any savings you will get buying it here.

But give it time, people will buy it here and try it outside of the America's and post here.

Sep 24, 2019 4:52 PM in response to deggie

Just stop...

AW 5 N A AW 4 North America

1 (2100 MHz) 2 (1900 MHz)

2 (1900 MHz) 4 (AWS)

3 (1800 MHz) 5 (850 MHz)

4 (AWS) 12 (700 MHz)

5 (850 MHz) 13 (700c MHz)

7 (2600 MHz) 17 (700b MHz)

12 (700 MHz) 18 (800 MHz)

13 (700c MHz) 19 (800 MHz)

17 (700b MHz) 25 (1900 MHz)

18 (800 MHz) 26 (800 MHz)

19 (800 MHz) 41 (TD 2500)

25 (1900 MHz) UMTS

26 (800 MHz) 850 MHz

39 (TD 1900) 1700 MHz

40 (TD 2300) 1900 MHz

41 (TD 2500)

66 (AWS-3)

UMTS

2100 MHz

1900 MHz

1700/2100 MHz

850 MHz

Nov 7, 2019 1:14 PM in response to deggie

LTE Bands 8 and 20 and UMTS 900MHz are missing from all the US models therefore if the European cell operator is using one of these bands for the watch provisioning then it would not work. I would venture to guess that it will work in some European countries with some cell phone providers and it will not work with others. For example EE in UK uses LTE bands 3,7 and 20. The series 3 watch would not work at all. The series 4/5 watches will probably work on LTE bands 3 and 7 but not on 20.

Buying GPS + Cellular Apple Watch Series 5 in the US - using it in Europe (Switzerland, Swisscom)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.