Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open and save dialogues are freezing on MacOS 10.14.6

Open and save dialogues are freezing on MacOS 10.14.6 regardless which program I use. In activity monitor the process com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService is shown as not responding. Only force quit helps.

In safe mode the behavior persists but NOT in a different admin user I created. When entering safe mode finder is unresponsive for a few minutes before calming down. In my main user I already tried to trash the finder plist but without result. Any help is much appreciated. Please find below the Etrecheck report.

Thank you

Detlef

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 5:12 PM

4 replies

Sep 22, 2019 7:34 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you very for your time and your ideas – unfortunately they didn't help.

I guess I just found the problem – and it's a quite stupid and annoying one. I have a database in Devonthink 3 which consists only of RSS feeds. In my preferences I had marked (now changed)! "Convert categories and hashtags into tags" which resulted in over 70.000 tags in my finder. I just started to delete them but this will take ages as even to delete 10 or so takes a minute. I guess a clean install is the better solution. However how do I prevent the finder tags being imported back from my TimeMachine backups – or will that not happen by default? Your input is much appreciated here – thank you.

Sep 22, 2019 9:13 AM in response to Detlef Otten

I'm glad you were able to locate the source of the problem. Unfortunately I cannot help you regarding Time Machine since I have never used it. If Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant are any sign of what Apple does with Time Machine, then you may not have enough granular control in the restore process to skip the tags.

Perhaps another more experienced contributor can provide some guidance for you regarding Time Machine.

Open and save dialogues are freezing on MacOS 10.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.