Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook Monterey browser file open dialog won't open

A mysterious, intermittent and annoying issue. On my 2-month-old MacBook Pro M1, with Monterey 12.4, sometimes a File/Open window from a web browser (Firefox, Chrome) does not display. For example, to upload a file in Google Drive, or Save To from any web app that allows saving a file. That is, opening the system dialog for browsing the file system, for open and save operations.

I have updated both browsers, and Monterey 12.4 is the latest.

If I restart the browser(s), the dialog will open again - for a while. For a few days, then suddenly it will fail and I have to restart the browser. Because I routinely keep 100 or so tabs going, in Firefox this is a real inconvenience.

Mysterious - any similar experience or ideas?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 10:09 AM

kgeog wrote:

intermittent and annoying issue. On my 2-month-old MacBook Pro M1, with Monterey 12.4,

It is not Google Drive only. It happens with any web site that has File/Upload or File/Save functions. For example, "save chat" etc. etc. Google Drive just happens to be one of them. Once it starts to fail, it fails for every web site.

It also happens in the Thunderbird email client, when trying to add an attachment by finding it in the file system.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 10:09 AM in response to kgeog

kgeog wrote:

intermittent and annoying issue. On my 2-month-old MacBook Pro M1, with Monterey 12.4,

It is not Google Drive only. It happens with any web site that has File/Upload or File/Save functions. For example, "save chat" etc. etc. Google Drive just happens to be one of them. Once it starts to fail, it fails for every web site.

It also happens in the Thunderbird email client, when trying to add an attachment by finding it in the file system.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Jun 19, 2022 9:16 AM in response to kgeog

kgeog wrote:

A mysterious, intermittent and annoying issue. On my 2-month-old MacBook Pro M1, with Monterey 12.4, sometimes a File/Open window from a web browser (Firefox, Chrome) does not display.

For example, to upload a file in Google Drive, or Save To from any web app that allows saving a file. That is, opening the system dialog for browsing the file system, for open and save operations.

I have updated both browsers, and Monterey 12.4 is the latest.

If I restart the browser(s), the dialog will open again - for a while. For a few days, then suddenly it will fail and I have to restart the browser. Because I routinely keep 100 or so tabs going, in Firefox this is a real inconvenience.

Mysterious - any similar experience or ideas?

Hmmm....is this a google drive issue only(?)

Google Drive Help

Contact Google Drive support

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

How does this compare to not using Google Drive...(?)

100 or so Tabs open seems unmanageable to me. Hard to understand how this work flow would work. Try less tabs and compare your results.

Jun 19, 2022 9:58 AM in response to leroydouglas

I routinely had over 100 open tabs on my previous Macbook Pro, with no similar issue,, and my workflow has suited me fine for a long time.

M1 Macbook Monterey browser file open dialog won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.