Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari loads web pages extremely slowly

2019 i9 iMac: Everything seems to run fine EXCEPT Safari. The Apple webpage loads promptly, but every other webpage I have tried to load takes a VERY long time to load--one webpage took over 1:35 to load, while my 2016 MBPro sitting next to it loaded the page in less than 5 seconds--both on my WiFi network. Apple Support had me reinstall the OS--latest version of Catalina--but that did not help. I do have Intego Antivirus on the machine, but it worked fine with Intego AV before--although that was perhaps before the latest update. Even running in safe mode, however, Safari loads pages extremely slowly. Any ideas--could it be the latest OS update does not like the

Intego AV software?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 1:38 PM

I would uninstall Intego. It tends to interfere with the computer's operation while providing minimal to no benefit unless you work with Windows files. Most long time posters recommend not using antivirus software or cleaning software such as CleanMyMac.

Intego Uninstall

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 15, 2020 12:23 PM in response to Michael Crutcher1

1. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18760?locale=en_US

2. Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

3.  If this doesn’t help, download EtreCheck, https://etrecheck.com  and post the report here.

Click  “Click “Free  download” button,

Open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

“Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy report” .

Paste the report when you reply.

Jan 24, 2020 7:52 AM in response to dominic23

Eric, Many thanks. Have had two sessions with AppleCare and have gone through all but downloading etrecheck. The strange thing is that everything else works fine on the computer, even email service (Comcast/Xfinity)--MS Office, Quicken, etc., etc., etc. Also, Safari works on our two MB Pros, our iPhones, and my iPad Pro 9.7. The only thing that does not work is Safari on the iMac. I have been a Mac user for 36 years and have never seen anything like this. Back to Apple on this one. Also, per your next note, will uninstall Intego before calling Apple. MANY thanks!

Jan 24, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Michael Crutcher1

For Eric Root. Your advice on removing Intego did the job. It took forever to download their installer/uninstaller, but once I ran through the process, my iMac was back to its usual very speedy self. Many thanks for your advice. My next task is to hook up the Powerline Ethernet adapter to get some real speed for downloads.

Thanks again, Eric!

Safari loads web pages extremely slowly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.