Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error message: The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (53).

I have an iPhone 8 plus. I connected to my iMac to backup my phone today. I was asked if i wanted to upgrade to ios 13, so I did. I'm getting an error message: The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (53). I cant use my phone and it wont update. The screen is stuck on the Apple logo with update bar half way complete, but frozen. I updated all software on iMac, erased the iPhone in icloud, tried all the recommended fixes. I can't even access my previous backup in iTunes. What do I do?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 9:26 PM

If you see error 53 when you update or restore your iPhone or iPad

Learn about error 53 and what to do if you see it in iTunes. 

About error 53

After you try to update or restore your iOS device in iTunes on your Mac or PC, you might see error 53 in iTunes. Error 53 appears when a device fails a security test. This test was designed to check whether Touch ID works properly before the device leaves the factory, and wasn’t intended to affect customers.

For anyone who experienced error 53, Apple released an update in iOS 9.3 to allow you to successfully restore your device using iTunes on your Mac or PC. Use the steps in this article to restore and recover your device. If you believe that you paid for an out-of-warranty device replacement based on an error 53 issue, contact Apple Support to ask about reimbursement.

What you should do

1. If iTunes is open on your Mac or PC, quit iTunes.
  2. If your iOS device is plugged into your computer, unplug it.
  3. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iTunes.
  4. Connect your iOS device to your computer with a USB cable. 
  5. Open iTunes and select your device.
  6. When you see the option in iTunes to Restore or Update, click Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS and restore your device without erasing your data.1
  7. If you can't get past the Apple logo screen, force restart2 your iOS device. When you see the option to Restore or Update, click Restore.
  8. When you see your iOS device's Hello screen, follow the onscreen steps to set up your device.
    • If you previously backed up your device, you can set up from your backup.
    • When you see the screen for Touch ID, tap Set up Touch ID later. 
  1. If Touch ID on your device didn't work before you saw error 53, the feature still won't work after you update or restore your device. Contact Apple Support to ask about service options for Touch ID.

If you continue seeing error 53, contact Apple Support.

1. If the restore won't finish and you see an error code other than error code 53, learn what to do.
  2. To force restart your device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 9:26 PM in response to BillyBaroo

If you see error 53 when you update or restore your iPhone or iPad

Learn about error 53 and what to do if you see it in iTunes. 

About error 53

After you try to update or restore your iOS device in iTunes on your Mac or PC, you might see error 53 in iTunes. Error 53 appears when a device fails a security test. This test was designed to check whether Touch ID works properly before the device leaves the factory, and wasn’t intended to affect customers.

For anyone who experienced error 53, Apple released an update in iOS 9.3 to allow you to successfully restore your device using iTunes on your Mac or PC. Use the steps in this article to restore and recover your device. If you believe that you paid for an out-of-warranty device replacement based on an error 53 issue, contact Apple Support to ask about reimbursement.

What you should do

1. If iTunes is open on your Mac or PC, quit iTunes.
  2. If your iOS device is plugged into your computer, unplug it.
  3. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iTunes.
  4. Connect your iOS device to your computer with a USB cable. 
  5. Open iTunes and select your device.
  6. When you see the option in iTunes to Restore or Update, click Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS and restore your device without erasing your data.1
  7. If you can't get past the Apple logo screen, force restart2 your iOS device. When you see the option to Restore or Update, click Restore.
  8. When you see your iOS device's Hello screen, follow the onscreen steps to set up your device.
    • If you previously backed up your device, you can set up from your backup.
    • When you see the screen for Touch ID, tap Set up Touch ID later. 
  1. If Touch ID on your device didn't work before you saw error 53, the feature still won't work after you update or restore your device. Contact Apple Support to ask about service options for Touch ID.

If you continue seeing error 53, contact Apple Support.

1. If the restore won't finish and you see an error code other than error code 53, learn what to do.
  2. To force restart your device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo again.

error message: The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (53).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.