Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airdrop

I have an iPhone 6 plus and a iMac version 10.13.6 Airdrop works fine between my phone and others but not with the IMac. The just don't see each other. They both work fine with other devices. Any ideas would be welcome.

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 12:32 PM

Okay, you'll need iOS 7 or later on the iphone 6 plus, and the imac is yosemite or later, which it is. if you have an older imac, make sure wifi and bluetooth are turned on and that your mac is discoverable, under the Bluetooth menu... and the iphone and mac are within 30 feet of each other. And, airdrop has to be turned on, on your iMac. go to Finder, then Go, then Airdrop, then turn it on. check the "Allow me to be discovered by" setting at the bottom of the airdrop window. You'll also need to disable "Block all incoming connections" under Security and Privacy. under your iphone, go to cellular, and turn off Personal Hotspot. I'm assuing you have an imac from 2009 or later. You can find out what year it's from by going to the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then "About this Mac". From there you should get a name and number, eg iMAC XXY. Remember that last bit, and go to everymac.com which has specs and years for every Mac made. and you can figure what year your iMac is from. You could also use the Share feature. open the file you want to send, then click share from within the app, or control-click the file, then Share.from there, choose airdrop.

I'm tapped out on this one....

= here's Apple's page on AirDrop (it's a link)

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203106

john b

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 12:32 PM in response to jameshastingsperry

Okay, you'll need iOS 7 or later on the iphone 6 plus, and the imac is yosemite or later, which it is. if you have an older imac, make sure wifi and bluetooth are turned on and that your mac is discoverable, under the Bluetooth menu... and the iphone and mac are within 30 feet of each other. And, airdrop has to be turned on, on your iMac. go to Finder, then Go, then Airdrop, then turn it on. check the "Allow me to be discovered by" setting at the bottom of the airdrop window. You'll also need to disable "Block all incoming connections" under Security and Privacy. under your iphone, go to cellular, and turn off Personal Hotspot. I'm assuing you have an imac from 2009 or later. You can find out what year it's from by going to the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then "About this Mac". From there you should get a name and number, eg iMAC XXY. Remember that last bit, and go to everymac.com which has specs and years for every Mac made. and you can figure what year your iMac is from. You could also use the Share feature. open the file you want to send, then click share from within the app, or control-click the file, then Share.from there, choose airdrop.

I'm tapped out on this one....

= here's Apple's page on AirDrop (it's a link)

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203106

john b

airdrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.