Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos Slow to upload

I purchased the new iPhone 11 Pro.

Transferred everything over seamlessly from my iPhone X.

I have 256GB of space on the phone and 160GB of photos.

I opted to upload my photos to iCloud to free up space on my phone. It has been 24 hours and it is still only at 15%. At which point do I escalate this matter? It seems very slow, especially since it went to 97% yesterday and then flashed and started over at 1%. Now it won't budge past 15%.

Everything I have read says not to start it over but this is taking forever.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 12:48 PM

Hey, Bthomason77.

Congratulations on your new iPhone. I see that you're concerned on how long it's taking to upload your photos from your iPhone 11 Pro to iCloud Photos, and I'm glad to help.

Set up and use iCloud Photos -- The first time you turn on iCloud Photos, it can take quite a while to complete the upload. It scans your photos and videos to organize them into Moments, Collections and Years. It isn't recommended to start over uploading photos to iCloud as the entire process needs to start over from the beginning again.

"Pause library uploads to iCloud

When you turn on iCloud Photos, the time it takes for your photos and videos to upload to iCloud depends on the size of your collection and your Internet speed. If you have a large collection of photos and videos, your upload might take more time than usual. You can see the status and pause the upload for one day.

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. You can also open the Photos app, go to the Photos tab, and scroll to the bottom of your screen.
  • On your Mac, open the Photos app. Select Photos in the sidebar, then click Photos or Moments in the list of tabs in the toolbar. Scroll to the bottom of your photos and click Pause."

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2019 12:48 PM in response to Bthomason77

Hey, Bthomason77.

Congratulations on your new iPhone. I see that you're concerned on how long it's taking to upload your photos from your iPhone 11 Pro to iCloud Photos, and I'm glad to help.

Set up and use iCloud Photos -- The first time you turn on iCloud Photos, it can take quite a while to complete the upload. It scans your photos and videos to organize them into Moments, Collections and Years. It isn't recommended to start over uploading photos to iCloud as the entire process needs to start over from the beginning again.

"Pause library uploads to iCloud

When you turn on iCloud Photos, the time it takes for your photos and videos to upload to iCloud depends on the size of your collection and your Internet speed. If you have a large collection of photos and videos, your upload might take more time than usual. You can see the status and pause the upload for one day.

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. You can also open the Photos app, go to the Photos tab, and scroll to the bottom of your screen.
  • On your Mac, open the Photos app. Select Photos in the sidebar, then click Photos or Moments in the list of tabs in the toolbar. Scroll to the bottom of your photos and click Pause."

Take care.

iCloud Photos Slow to upload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.