Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple map arrow issue on iPhone and CarPlay

I know how to set the Apple map on my iPhone so that it shows the direction of travel arrow up, that is, it points in the direction I am traveling and also displays a compass. When I attach my iPhone to CarPlay on my 2016 Honda, I can set the Apple map display to show the direction of travel arrow up as well and display a compass, too. This is the way I like it. However, if I ask for directions to someplace, the Apple map changes so that North is always up, not the direction of travel, and the direction of travel arrow follows the map route on my iPhone and on my CarPlay display, too. I would like to know how to make the Apple map direction of travel arrow point up, not North, on both my iPhone and CarPlay display when it is giving directions to some location. Is this possible to do?

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 1:18 PM

Hi Wayfarer1,

Thanks for posting your question about Apple Maps and CarPlay!

I have a resource that covers the different options you have to Change the map view in CarPlay:

"When you follow turn-by-turn directions, you can tap the touchscreen or turn the rotary knob, then do one of the following:

• Switch between detailed and high-level views: To see a detailed 3D map with your heading at the top of the screen, select . To see the route overview in 2D with north at the top of the screen, select .
  • Zoom in or out: Select  or .
  • Scroll the map: Select , then select a direction arrow on one of the edges of the screen. To return to turn-by-turn directions, tap Resume.
  • On some touchscreens, you can also drag the map to scroll it.

You can also change the map view when not following directions. Tap the touchscreen or turn the rotary knob, then do one of the following:

• Show your current location: Tap . Your position is marked in the middle of the map.
  • View a 3D map: Tap 3D. To return to a 2D map, tap 2D.

• Show your heading at the top of the screen: Tap . To resume showing north at the top, tap 
  • Scroll the map: Select , then select a direction arrow at the edges of the screen. When finished, tap Done."

If this isn't quite what you're looking for, you can always send your suggestion directly to Apple here: Product Feedback

I hope this answers your question. Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2019 1:18 PM in response to Wayfarer1

Hi Wayfarer1,

Thanks for posting your question about Apple Maps and CarPlay!

I have a resource that covers the different options you have to Change the map view in CarPlay:

"When you follow turn-by-turn directions, you can tap the touchscreen or turn the rotary knob, then do one of the following:

• Switch between detailed and high-level views: To see a detailed 3D map with your heading at the top of the screen, select . To see the route overview in 2D with north at the top of the screen, select .
  • Scroll the map: Select , then select a direction arrow on one of the edges of the screen. To return to turn-by-turn directions, tap Resume.
  • On some touchscreens, you can also drag the map to scroll it.

You can also change the map view when not following directions. Tap the touchscreen or turn the rotary knob, then do one of the following:

• Show your current location: Tap . Your position is marked in the middle of the map.
  • View a 3D map: Tap 3D. To return to a 2D map, tap 2D.

• Show your heading at the top of the screen: Tap . To resume showing north at the top, tap 
  • Scroll the map: Select , then select a direction arrow at the edges of the screen. When finished, tap Done."

If this isn't quite what you're looking for, you can always send your suggestion directly to Apple here: Product Feedback

I hope this answers your question. Take care.

Sep 25, 2019 2:56 PM in response to Leanne_68

Thank you! Your answer helped me find the solution to my problem. I now can view an Apple map showing the route to my destination on CarPlay with either North up or the direction of travel up. It is more limited than the old Hyundai map system I had, but it works well enough. When I ask for guidance to a destination, an overview map appears showing the route from my location to the destination with North up. As I drive to my location, North remains up on the map. If I tap the CarPlay screen, a banner appears saying "detail end", and when I tap that banner, the map displays the route from my current location to the next turn or waypoint on my trip, and the direction of travel is up. CarPlay will then display my route in a waypoint by waypoint fashion with the direction of travel up as I proceed to my destination. This is what I wanted. To return to the overview map, I tap on the CarPlay screen and another banner appears saying "overview end". When I tap on the banner, the overview map appears with North up. The instructions on the banners appear to me to be reversed, but I now can get the result I wanted, so again, thank you very much.

Apple map arrow issue on iPhone and CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.