Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection ports to transfer my old digital video tapes

Problem - old Sony digital video camera. out port on camera no longer available. I still have my old Firewire which does connect and used to connect to old Mac which crashed a long time ago. My 2017 Mac of course has thunderbolt and usb connections. Any ideas? I find it amazing that I was able to transfer old VHS tapes into my computer using Roxio but now cannot figure out how to transfer video tapes because of the newer connections. Is there any such thing as an adaptor that would make my firewire able to connect to my new Mac?

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 6:14 PM

4 replies

Sep 22, 2019 6:37 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your answer. I just ordered adapter and will pick up tomorrow. One last question. When I connect the firewire to my video camera the other end of course is the firewire connection. This may be a dumb question but does this connection then send my video from the camera through the firewire into the Thunderbolt port so that I can then record my digital video in my Mac? Since it says Thunderbolt to Firewire on the adaptor I want to make sure it will do what I need. Sorry but the cables I ordered from Amazon that do not accommodate what I need I learned that I need to have specific male or female on certain cables to make it run in the direction I want.

Connection ports to transfer my old digital video tapes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.