Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old HDV tapes into Final Cut without a Firewire port.

I need to get my old HDV tapes from a Sony HDR-HC3 into a project in HD. On the old computer, it was no problem as the camera has a Firewire to Firewire cable. My 2018 Mac Mini has no Firewire port. Do I need some type of Firewire adaptor?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 1:48 AM

If you can use an older computer to do the import, that is what I’d recommend.

To do it in the mini, you need not one but two adapters: A Thunderbolt3-Thinderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 2-Firewire.

It should work but if this is a one-off thing it is quite expensive; and there is always the chance that something breaks, since this old technology.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 1:48 AM in response to spudsy

If you can use an older computer to do the import, that is what I’d recommend.

To do it in the mini, you need not one but two adapters: A Thunderbolt3-Thinderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 2-Firewire.

It should work but if this is a one-off thing it is quite expensive; and there is always the chance that something breaks, since this old technology.

Jan 27, 2022 10:08 AM in response to spudsy

As Luis said, 2 adaptors are required.

One of them is what you posted, which is a Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire 800 adaptor, although the Apple link does not mention that it is Thunderbolt 2, it just describes it as Thunderbolt, so could be confusing

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

and the second one you require is

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

I have not seen a single adaptor that has the function of the combined 2 adaptors and neither have I seen

any equivalent from a manufacturer other than Apple.

Old HDV tapes into Final Cut without a Firewire port.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.