Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer miniDV tapes from Sony Handicap DCR-HC52 to iMac 24"(Monterrey)

I do not have the original video camera so bought a second-hand DCR-HS52. I had to buy a bilingual Firewire 800 - 400 cable and then an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor to connect the camera to the computer, but I can't work out how to do it. There is a list of Sony Handicams that are compatible with Macs and this model is not on it! Does anyone have any idea how I can transfer the tapes? Or do I have to search for a different MiniDV camera! Why do they make this so complicated!!!

David

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 12:30 AM

4 replies

Oct 31, 2022 10:05 AM in response to DAH145

Is it the cables you are having trouble with?

The FireWire 800 to 400 cable needs to be 9 pin to 4 pin.

You say you have a FireWire to Thunderbolt adaptor.

Two adaptors are required.

First a FireWire to Thunderbolt adaptor ( also known as Thunderbolt 1 or 2)

and then a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor.

Unfortunately there is not just one cable that will do the job on your setup.

Nov 3, 2022 11:52 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

Thank you thesurreyfriends - I think that is the answer! It’s a bit hard to see the “ports/sockets” in any detail in the online photos, but I clearly need another connector! Thank you - am sending off for one now - crazy that Sony/Apple make it so difficult - two adaptors at A$60+ each and the cable from

the camera is making this an expensive matter! Thank you very much for your helpful answer - being elderly and a bit of a technical wuss I hadn’t spotted it!

Transfer miniDV tapes from Sony Handicap DCR-HC52 to iMac 24"(Monterrey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.