Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IS there a current virus affecting Safari (10.13.6

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 7:43 PM

7 replies

Sep 23, 2019 10:31 AM in response to yogipjt

You’re probably not worth exposing any of the Safari malware that’s around.

Malware is a business, and malware is valuable, and exposing the malware risks getting the underlying vulnerability fixed.

If you are worth potentially exposing the malware—political dissident, an investigative journalist, associated with a political campaign, have access to sensitive information, or access to substantial finances, or on a path to same—you will want to get better advice for your situation than random folks in the Apple forums. (And even then, the attackers are probably going to try to socially engineer you first.)

There’s all sorts of idiocy on the Internet. That’s pretty much large parts of the Internet, not the least of which is what gets posted on Facebook and Twitter and elsewhere. There’s a long thread on one of the more common “your Mac is infested” scams. Those particular scams are bogus, as there’d be some serious problems if a remote web site could scan your entire Mac from the context available within a browser window.

More than a few of the “am I infected with a virus?” discussions around end up being a discussion of a configuration error or a software bug, too. Or some add-on app that’s been installed and probably should not have been installed.

So.... why do you ask?

Sep 23, 2019 12:58 PM in response to MrHoffman

I responded distractedly to a dialogue box something like "apple needs to make changes..please enter your password" something like that. Now.....safari....app store....Microsoft outlook...all respond as if there is no internet connection. Using chrome....there is a connection.....and I am connected. Suspect I've been scammed....

Sep 23, 2019 1:11 PM in response to yogipjt

yogipjt wrote:

I responded distractedly to a dialogue box something like "apple needs to make changes..please enter your password" something like that. Now.....safari....app store....Microsoft outlook...all respond as if there is no internet connection. Using chrome....there is a connection.....and I am connected. Suspect I've been scammed....

Reboot your Mac, and try accessing the network again.

If you don’t have backups, go get those configured and started now.

Backups are the fundamental part of preserving your data, recovering from hardware damage, loss, theft, fire, etc.

In the worst case, backups are also part of the recovery path for malware. (And I doubt that’ll be the case, here.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.