Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk?

(Repost from MACOS forum, probably more appropriate here than there)

Hi all,

I recently bought a MacBook Pro and decided to keep windows on an external ssd. I was able to install it fine and it all works with one exception - I can not switch disks via Startup Disk as I get this error:

I can book into Boot Camp fine by holding the Option key but would like to get this working as well. Google said that it maybe EFI related but I confirmed the SSD has EFI using Winclone so not sure where too now?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 4:01 AM

solomani wrote:

Yeah, I am not calling Bless its Startup Disk/OS that is :)

Bless is not called when you boot and hold Alt/Option. 😉

Yes it is EFI boot.

I suggest using Alt/Option.

Why is bless complaining if anyone knows?

See the previous post.

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 24, 2019 3:59 AM in response to TonOT1

TonOT1 wrote:

Uhhhh, Bless is called implicitly by the standard OS-function "System preferences".....

Bless is used for Legacy BIOS installations of Windows. The Windows on external disk is assumed to be BIOS by System Preferences.

Look at the first picture.... Perhaps Apple should read you remark;-)

See the man page of the systemsetup command. Specifically the following options

[-getstartupdisk] [-liststartupdisks] [-setstartupdisk path]

The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.