Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Adapter Boot Issues

When I have my USB-C adapter plugged in my MacBook won't boot from a restart or cold boot up. The dongle I use is this one https://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ethernet-Delivery-Multiport-Adapter/dp/B07D2YVH9X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=micar+usb+c+dongle&qid=1569236683&sr=8-1

Is this a MacOS safety feature? The only way I can boot is if I unplug the adapter until l reach my desktop and then replug.

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 9:08 AM

Try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

It could be a defective adapter or just incompatible. It is obviously causing a problem.

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 23, 2019 4:13 AM in response to Caseablee

I've not ready anything about Apple restricting dongles for security. The USB port can only supply a limited amount of electricity and the upon starting the computer looks for the boot drive very early in the startup sequence. If the dock is slow to power up then the drive will also be slow to power up and the computer won't see the external drive. Removing the dock from the sequence obviously allows the drive to power up so the computer sees it at bootup.

USB Adapter Boot Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.