Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match duplicates songs and does not update my music library

Hi,

I have found people with the same issue in this forum (https://communities.apple.com/de/thread/200024844) but their questions were not answered, so posting anew.

I have used iTunes Match for 2 years and (since May) also Apple Music. I use my private Mac to store all my music locally (33,000+ songs) basically ripped CDs and also some music bought on the iTunes store.

On this (main) Mac, a couple of days ago my entire music library was duplicated and now I have every song in 2 versions in my library:

1. The new version of the songs seems to be the iTunes Match version (256 AAC with the download icon).
  2. The old songs have an exclamation mark and in the cloud column show the blue cloud icon with exclamation mark.

Clicking on that icon (#2) brings an error message "Object could not be added to your library because of an error" (translated from German). Theses songs however, still seem to be physically available and I can play them.

On my iPhone and business Mac my music is still available through iTunes Match, no duplicates.

I clicked to update my music library, re started iTunes, logged out of my iTunes account and in again, nothing helped.

Help is highly appreciated. Many thanks,

Eric

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 12:44 PM

See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for some background on the iCloud symbols. The exclamation mark at the left suggests that iTunes cannot locate the local copy of the track in question so that might need fixing first. Other users have had success eliminating these cloudy duplicates by turning off iCloud Music Library, signing out of their Apple ID, signing in again, and then turning iCloud Music Library back on.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 12:44 PM in response to Eric Martens1

See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for some background on the iCloud symbols. The exclamation mark at the left suggests that iTunes cannot locate the local copy of the track in question so that might need fixing first. Other users have had success eliminating these cloudy duplicates by turning off iCloud Music Library, signing out of their Apple ID, signing in again, and then turning iCloud Music Library back on.

tt2

iTunes Match duplicates songs and does not update my music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.