Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music (really iTunes) is losing my playlist data.

Apple Music on Mac is a complete disaster...

I have been trying to resolve an issue for three days now. When I update playlists in Apple Music (really iTunes) the changes are reverted back to the previous version shortly after trying to sync up to the cloud.

I called the Apple Support Line and opened a ticket but then attempted a massive rewrite of my entire library, including exporting the library, starting a new library, re-importing the library and re-uploading all my songs to the cloud.

I'll go ahead and drop a new song (or numerous songs) into a playlist, and then after syncing it reverts back to the old version. I lose all my changes!

This is absolutely ridiculous as iTunes/Apple Music has been my book of record since 2000 for all my music. This app has become completely worthless now as I can not rely on it to maintain the stability of my music collection.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 6:33 PM

It sounds like the changes are not being saved to the cloud. And so when it re-syncs from the cloud you get your original playlist back. You might be able to fix your issue by turning Sync Library off for all of your devices, then turning it back on again.  Learn how.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 4, 2022 10:12 AM in response to ironhide1975.2

"I have been trying to resolve an issue for three days now. When I update playlists in Apple Music (really iTunes) the changes are reverted back to the previous version shortly after trying to sync up to the cloud."

I had this problem for weeks. I tried disable Sync Library:

...and re-enabled it. Did this on my iPhone too. This did not work the first time I tried it.

I tried it again this morning and after enabling Sync again, left it for a few hours "Updating Cloud Music Library" but this never finished. I force killed the Music app and re-launched it and this time it seems to have come up working properly.

Apple Music (really iTunes) is losing my playlist data.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.