Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music reverting changes

Yesterday, I spent about an hour making changes to a iCloud Music Library based playlist on my Mac which only contains music that I've uploaded. (I don't use iTunes Match) I changed track metadata and the order of the playlist. I noticed that the changes weren't appearing on Apple Music on my phone and so I manually synced the library by selecting Library > Update Cloud Library in Apple Music on my Mac. Today I noticed that all of the changes I made yesterday (metadata and playlist order) have been reverted to their previous state. Any idea what's happening here?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 8:15 AM

Hold down option as you launch Music, click the choose option, and explicitly select your library file, typically ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary. Note also that Music/iTunes may have trouble saving metadata changes when AirPlay is active.

tt2

Similar questions

10 replies

Jan 25, 2022 1:50 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

I'm wondering is there a current bug with this in Apple Music as also experiencing the same?

I subscribe to iTunes Match and library is all in the cloud. I have been trying to delete my iCloud library as i want to re-import etc and re-match, tidy it all up etc.

Once i delete the initial files in Apple Music it deletes the hard copy from my drive also, easy enough.

Then as i have iCloud music library enabled my library re-appears after a short while with a downward arrow beside each track. I follow the same process again and delete all these files as i believe that should remove them from the cloud at that point?

Even when i do this, when i re-load music its bringing the old library back again from the cloud, even though i have deleted the cloud content previously as per above?

I tried following your suggestion to use option and select library file, but does help. Also Airplay is not enabled but metadeta changes are still reverting in some cases also.

I'm wondering so i need a new library file etc, but appreciate your thoughts on the above

Best

Simon.

Feb 1, 2022 7:47 AM in response to Joshua Kaufman

All,

I have noticed a bizarre occurrence on my external hard drive (where my media is stored) and unsure if it is related to the attached?

I have an external hard drive formatted to exFAT with a GUID partition.

When I import a folder from the hard drive it appears in music and I can play it ok. When I reference the ‘get info’ tab on the file

from music it points me to the correct location of the media folder and where the file should be on the hard drive.

Strange thing is, the file has vanished and isnt there!

My library file is not on the hard drive but in the standard location on the MAC’s music folder with media only on the external drive.

Permissions on the drive are ‘custom access’ and the drive is a WD Elements 1TB, MY PASSPORT for MAC.

For example, i import the folder "Back in Black" by AC/DC. It imports and plays fine and the location of the files via 'get info' is on the external hard drive where they should be.

I now navigate to the Back in Black folder on the hard drive and its empty!

On importing its actually removing the files from the external hard drive. However how then can I still play them?

No idea……. Lord give me strength

Checked music preferences and the box “copy media to folder on import” is checked.

Best

Simon.

Apple Music reverting changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.