Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminders App not working until Catalina is released?

So I've just updated my iPhone to iOS 13 and with it upgraded my Reminders app. Now the reminders app on my Mac has stopped working. It's showing the error "The creator of this list has upgraded these reminders.".

Apparently, Mojave reminders are not compatible with iOS 13!? And so now my Reminders app won't work until Catalina is officially released.

Seriously?!?

Is this really happening or am I missing something?

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 9:53 AM

altabq wrote:

It seems this is really happening.

From my side I can only say that it was far from obvious that this would happen. Apple should have really placed a warning that Reminders will stop syncing with all macOS devices if the Reminders are upgraded.

What a mess.

Could not agree more. Apple did a poor job presenting this information.

The kb was release one day before the iOS dropped, with no heads up to the front lines.

Published Date: September 19, 2019

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210220

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 9:53 AM in response to altabq

altabq wrote:

It seems this is really happening.

From my side I can only say that it was far from obvious that this would happen. Apple should have really placed a warning that Reminders will stop syncing with all macOS devices if the Reminders are upgraded.

What a mess.

Could not agree more. Apple did a poor job presenting this information.

The kb was release one day before the iOS dropped, with no heads up to the front lines.

Published Date: September 19, 2019

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210220

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Sep 23, 2019 8:09 AM in response to woodmeister50

This post from the makers of BusyCal explains the issue in some detail:

Starting with iOS 13 and macOS Catalina, the new Reminders app no longer supports CalDAV.

Upgrading Reminders

When you launch Reminders on iOS 13 or macOS 10.15 for the first time, you will be presented with an option to upgrade Reminders so that it may offer you newer and better functionality.

If you don't wish to use Reminders as your primary to-do app, and instead rely on BusyCal or a host of other 3rd party CalDAV task management apps, choosing Yes will migrate all your to-do-only calendars off of CalDAV and into a private silo run and managed solely by the new Reminders app.

Your to-do-only calendars, along with their contents, will in effect be deleted from BusyCal, as well as a host of other 3rd party CalDAV clients on all other platforms. If this has given you unwarranted confusion, stress and anxiety, or it wasn't immediately clear that upgrading Reminders would result in loss of data in every other CalDAV client, please leave them feedback. They listen.

After Reminders deletes your calendars and to-dos from CalDAV, it replaces these with a calendar named Reminders ⚠️ along with the following two entries inside, reminding you who to blame:

• Where are my reminders?
    • The creator of this list has upgraded these reminders.

Choosing No on the other hand, will keep your calendars and to-dos intact, and these will continue to sync with all other CalDAV apps, including BusyCal. The only downside of this would be the inability to use newer features offered by the new Reminders app.

https://support.busymac.com/blog/112990-reminders-in-ios-13-and-macos-catalina-drops-support-for-caldav

Nov 6, 2019 1:08 AM in response to altabq

I upgraded to Catalina 10.15 and had a lot of trouble with connecting to internet, very very slow startup and shutting down. I ended up doing a recovery of an earlier backup from external time machine.

This seemed to fix the internet delay in connecting but shut down was painfully slow prompting me to rely on power button shutdown.

Startup would then be treated as restart and followed by a series of reports to Apple.

I had then just used my Mac Air as on at all times.

I had a reminder to upgrade again this time to Catalina 10.15.1. I thought this would be a bug fixer and downloaded it but to my dismay all the above problems returned.

I have done another recovery and all seems fine now with the exception of shutdown and startup.

I am now very hesitant to download any more upgrades.

I would appreciate any advise on this.

Michael

Jan 6, 2020 6:13 AM in response to altabq

Oh Apple! This is bad behavior in many ways. Let's start with documentation: iOS 13 and macOS 10.15 changelogs did not mention this change. Changes that break user setups have to be in the changelog. Not mentioning breaking changes because it sounds bad is the worst idea to handle the problem.

Having iOS and macOS out of sync isn't a great idea either. On the one hand Apple drives users to update and touts new features like nested subitems. On the other hand they are silent about issues that could arise. That's a very customer unfriendly combination.

Be aware that if you use CalDAV to sync your reminders app it currently is broken for macOS. CalDAV sync still works for iOS 13.3. Also it seems CalDAV users are not asked to upgrade to the new database format which is less open and kills CalDAV sync.

Reminders App not working until Catalina is released?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.