Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13 - Mail with .ics is not downloading

Hi all

After upgrade to iOS, when I receive an .ics attached I can’t open and view details.

Any idea? Is it and issue with Mail app?

Thanks and regards

dani

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 8:36 PM

To fix .ics show up as “unavailable” do the following....

Go to settings ing iOS

Go to Passwords and Accounts .... choose the the email account you are having issues with

Make sure the slider on Calendar is ON

This should solve your problem......

26 replies

Sep 25, 2019 10:11 AM in response to Danimerino

Hello Danimerino,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like an .ics file is not opening or able to be viewed from Mail. You've reached the right place.

Here are some suggestions:

Cheers.

Dec 31, 2019 4:43 PM in response to Canary614

And this also happened pre iOS 13 so no real change there. The problem that was introduced with 13 (at least for me) was that I can no longer open some ics attachments on emails. Yes, the invite gets added to my calendar, but how do I know where to go looking for it? The appointment could be tomorrow or it could be months into the future. It’s not practical to go searching for it. Pre iOS 13 I could just tap on the ics attachment and it would take me directly to the relevant time on my calendar. I could then accept or decline in an informed way.

Jan 28, 2020 8:56 AM in response to Bob_Bo

“Calendar” slider is on for the exchange account that is sending me calendar invitations, @Bob_Bo. In fact, I can open my calendar and view all my other appointments for this exchange account.

However, on my iPad Mini 4 running iPad OS 13.3, tapping on “meeting.ics” attachments in emails has no effect: The icon flashes, just briefly, as if it’s going to download, and then nada: icon’s still sitting there, with no attachment downloaded and I’m unable to view the invitation.

I’ve experienced this issue with 13.1 and 13.2. Attachments had worked as expected with iOS 12 and prior.

Jan 30, 2020 12:55 PM in response to Danimerino

Got a user experiencing the same issue since updating to IOS 13. We've got multiple people with e-mails and calendar invites flowing fine but she's the only one experiencing this issue as well. Toggling the calendar under passwords and accounts fixes the issue temporarily but then it returns. I've attached a photo of the icon. Doesn't respond to touch and toggling the calendar only relieves the issue temporarily.

Sep 25, 2019 10:01 PM in response to rose_10

ICS is a calendar invite, so opening them in ‚another service‘ doesn‘t make sense.

What happened on iOS 12 and prior: calendar opened when clicking on the invite as attachment to a mail.

In 13.1: can‘t download message

Observation:

works with IMAP based mail but is

broken with Exchange Online based mail boxes.

Addition: same Exchange based mailbox work with iOS 12 device, aka. unrelated to Exchange

Nov 20, 2019 2:39 AM in response to DSCashy

I've same problem!

For years I have used programs that generate events automatically and allows my clients and employees to manage everything automatically. Now who has IOS can no longer do it.

Really embarrassing!

It is even more so due to the fact that before the update it worked and now, after months, no solution, no fix, no support!

Jan 2, 2020 10:32 AM in response to Danimerino

I can not import an ICS into my calendar. I am running iOS 13.3 and have resent the invite several time. Each time, I can open the invite but it will not import to my calendar. From the Calendar, when I select "Inbox" the screen reports "No Invitations". I also replied to one of the invites hoping to use the "Replied" selection but I get a "No Events You've Replied To" message.

How do I fix this issue?

Mar 8, 2020 2:23 PM in response to del44

“This worked,” “it works” and “that setting” responses are unhelpful.

i trust @del44, @Wohoo2020 and @Canary614 are saying that @crdrummond3000’s “go to download an ics. [when] Safari opens, [go] to Setting / Safari / Downloads and select “On my phone” as opposed to iCloud.” solved the issue.

Unfortunately, this did not solve the issue on my iPad, running iPadOS 13.

IOS 13 - Mail with .ics is not downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.