Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the new iPhone 11 Pro and Apple Watch series 2 work together?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 11:09 AM

Apple watch series 2 will not pair with iphone 11 max pro

So I just upgraded my iPhone to the iPhone 11 max Pro and went to pair my existing Series 2 Apple Watch with it - I have reset the Apple Watch to factory defaults, and attempted to pair it using the normal flow through the Apple Watch app on the iPhone.

The iPhone will not accept the geometric pattern displayed on the Watch for pairing, it simply does nothing when I present it to the iPhones camera during the pairing process in the Apple Watch app. I have tried various lighting levels and locations, distances from the Watch etc.

If I choose the manual flow, I am asked to choose the Apple Watch to pair via the 5 digit name, which displays correctly on both Watch and iPhone - the iPhone then asks me to enter the 6 digit code which is displayed on the Watch, but the watch never displays any code (it does not update from the "Use this name to select your Apple Watch for manual pairing").

This Watch worked perfectly on my older iPhone 6S Plus literally until this morning.

Things I have tried without success:

• Updated iPhone to latest iOS 13
  • Reset Apple Watch again
  • Closed all apps on iPhone
  • Rebooted iPhone
  • Forgot my current wifi network

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2019 11:09 AM in response to Rbest1996

Apple watch series 2 will not pair with iphone 11 max pro

So I just upgraded my iPhone to the iPhone 11 max Pro and went to pair my existing Series 2 Apple Watch with it - I have reset the Apple Watch to factory defaults, and attempted to pair it using the normal flow through the Apple Watch app on the iPhone.

The iPhone will not accept the geometric pattern displayed on the Watch for pairing, it simply does nothing when I present it to the iPhones camera during the pairing process in the Apple Watch app. I have tried various lighting levels and locations, distances from the Watch etc.

If I choose the manual flow, I am asked to choose the Apple Watch to pair via the 5 digit name, which displays correctly on both Watch and iPhone - the iPhone then asks me to enter the 6 digit code which is displayed on the Watch, but the watch never displays any code (it does not update from the "Use this name to select your Apple Watch for manual pairing").

This Watch worked perfectly on my older iPhone 6S Plus literally until this morning.

Things I have tried without success:

• Updated iPhone to latest iOS 13
  • Reset Apple Watch again
  • Closed all apps on iPhone
  • Rebooted iPhone
  • Forgot my current wifi network

Nov 21, 2019 2:31 AM in response to Ashraf1299

Hi

I have recently bought an Iphone 11 Pro and have a Series 0 Apple watch that worked fine with my previous iphone 5C. I tried to pair to the new phone, and got to the point of using the camera to pick up the pairing display on the watch but there was no response. I then tried to manually pair, and got to the point where I got the phone to recognise the Apple watch code that the watch sent via bluetooth but no code was displayed on my watch for me to enter into the phone. Tried to reset watch and pair/unpair from my old phone etc.

You will all be familiar with the limitations Apple place on Apple Watch software updates and seemingly my watch and its software version, and probably yours,cannot be updated to the software version where side by side pairing was introduced, which is the method your the new iphone 11 phones recommend when starting the migration process.

As some of you have done I then invested quite a lot of time talking with Apple Support trying multiple things - probably over two hours in total over different calls, to be then rung back by them to say, apologetically, that the Apple Watch is basically unable to pair,as it is "obsolete" - my word,but this was the inference. They were very polite, and very patient/helpful, but couldn't offer a solution.

There is no trade in value for my version of Apple Watch at their stores - only a recycle option where you just hand it over to them for nothing in return.

The watch is an older version but still perfectly useable so I was reluctant to junk it, and invest in a new one I didn't think I needed. So I persevered.

I got hold of a iphone 5S from a friend, and having reset the Apple watch did a pairing with this phone. It paired - not much of a surprise there, but the 5C and 5S were launched by Apple about the same time with the 5C being a more downmarket version. Now, following a hunch I went back to my new phone and tried the pairing routine again, once the Apple watch had been unpaired from the 5S phone, and the code was produced by my watch, and the manually pairing on Apple Series 0 watch and Apple 11 Pro was successfully completed. The watch is working perfectly as it always has done, despite Apple representatives telling me it was not possible.

I suggest that you get hold of any iphone newer than the 5C and pair your watch with that phone, unpair it and try your new phone and pairing process again. It should work. Either some extra software is added in the pairing process with the newer phone onto your Apple watch, or a newer version of the software is unlocked to allow manual pairing to be achieved on the newer iphones.

A bit of a pain, but certainly cheaper than junking a perfectly good Apple watch, and having to buy another one. good luck!

Oct 14, 2019 6:31 PM in response to hani154

It may be an issue with the series 2 specifically. I also have a friend with the series 2, with 11 pro max, and he said it works fine. Maybe get this checked out at an Apple store? Appointments are free. Repairs, usually not.

I hope you find your solution. Maybe try backing up and resetting the phone, then restoring it? I have never had this issue personally, so I would recommend going to an Apple Store.

Jan 21, 2020 5:48 AM in response to nlakhani

I had the same issue, upgrading from an iPhone 8 to a 11 Pro.

My 1st gen Apple Watch got stuck in the automatic migration process between phones, and refused to pair with the new one even after a few resets.

It only worked after I paired again with the old phone and then unpaired using the Watch App.

Just to be on the safe side I rebooted the new iphone and reinstalled the app before trying again, with success.

Give it a try. Hope it works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.