Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch series 5 battery life

Is anyone having battery issues with their S5 Watch?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 8:21 PM

194 replies

Sep 30, 2019 8:18 AM in response to Rdbgolf

Mine is a series 4 and I am also experiencing the same issue as the Rdbgolf.

Mine use to last for 2 whole days with ~25% to spare but now it just finished 24 hours with 35% left huge difference from my watchOS 5. Thats after un-pairing and pairing, resetting and deleting all apps, turning off notifications, background refresh and everything that makes a smart watch smart. basically now I am having a regular watch on.

My bet is that something is wrong with watchOS 6 or iOS 13 which causing all these issues.

Sep 24, 2019 10:23 AM in response to Rdbgolf

This may sound strange, but here's what I noticed. Yesterday morning I started with a full charge. Just a few hours later I was down to 70%. I charged it again, and tightened the strap a little. The battery life is greatly improved. Today I've had it on for 7 hours and I'm at 85%. Maybe intermittent contact with the sensor drains it?

Sep 24, 2019 11:42 AM in response to Rdbgolf

I am very disappointed in the S5 battery life compared to S4. I have been playing with different faces. It has been around 50% of what I normally get. Tomorrow, I am going to try to disable the always on feature and see if that is what the different is. Betting it is. If it is, then the only difference is a compass in the new hardware.

I always buy the latest hardware from Apple (sort of an addiction). To be honest, this is probably going to be the first apple product that I am going to send back and just stick with my Apple Watch Series 4.

Sep 24, 2019 12:45 PM in response to Michael Ginsberg

I had the same with a fairly new series 4 where I’d be lucky to get 10 hours. It was my first so I didn’t have any expectations. Friends were getting 24 - 30 out of theirs on occasion so I contacted customer support, and told them it did not meet the expected behavior. They ran a set of tests remotely, then I asked for it to be sent in for repair.

They have replaced the watch. I bought a 5 in the meantime, and I get easily 24 - 30 hours with always on switched on, raise to wake, all background apps refreshing.

i recommend you open a support ticket and ask for a repair. You’ll probably get a replacement.

or if it’s within 30 days take it back to the retailer that sold it to you for a refund/ exchange

Sep 24, 2019 4:29 PM in response to Rdbgolf

Here's where I'm at with mine (went from S3 to S5, both LTE)

I originally setup the watch with a restore

Was seeing about 1% drain every 4-6 minutes (not noise meter or compass enabled, but using an infograph face

reset the watch and setup as new with no apps

only installed the apps I wanted

Battery was still draining rather fast

Lost 20% during a 1 hour outdoor run (no music)

Turned off the AOD, and now it looks like it's going to last as long or longer than my S3

So basically, I have an S4.

Sep 24, 2019 6:45 PM in response to JT73

I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with tech support(time I’ll never get back). I finally was able to get them to aggressively to an express exchange, only to get conveniently disconnect!! They had my number in case we got disconnected, no return call. I finally was able to just get a return label, it’s going back. I went to Best Buy and purchased a new S5 cellular. I’ll let you know how the new one performs. I was less than impressed with the customer service.

Sep 24, 2019 7:07 PM in response to Rdbgolf

Here's where I'm at

At 6:32pm watch was at 75%. I turned on the AOD. in 46 min it dropped to 70%. So more than 5% per hour. By Apple's estimate the watch should lose 5.5% per hour and that is assuming 1 hour of workout with LTE and GPS, 90 views of the watch, and like 45 min of apps. I literally did nothing for 46 min and lost 5%.

At 7:18 I turned AOD off. Lost 7% in 1 hour 43 min, and I took a call for about 3 min. That seems to be a battery drain way more in line with what is expected. 3-4% per hour when not really doing much.

Also important to keep in mind that I am on wifi this whole time connected to my phone. So I am not on cell service at all.

I'm going with AOD is not all it's cracked up to be.

Sep 24, 2019 7:22 PM in response to Michael Ginsberg

Another update:

2 hours with AOD off, 8% (no real activity, but I did take a call)

46 min with AOD on, 7% lost (no activity)

I have about another hour of work. Have AOD back on.

I could care less about Noise meter or the compass. What I really cared about was AOD. So far it's a complete bust. If this doesn't live up to the hype, there's no reason for me to even switch from the series 3.

Sep 25, 2019 5:39 AM in response to Eginko

This morning I turned off the always on display and noise monitoring. Watch has been on battery for 90 mins and used work used workout app for a 45 minute outdoor walk. Just looked and watch is still at 100%. Yesterday I would have been at 85%.

let’s see if what today brings

tomorrow I may enable display and see if noise monitoring is the issue.

will decide on Friday if I am returning, especially if I have to turn off features.

Apple Watch series 5 battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.