Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When waking up the MacBook Pro just picks a random monitor to choose as first and second

I am using two HP 27fw monitors in addition to my MacBook Pro. After sleep mode, the display arrangement is often changed. It seems to me that, when waking up the MacBook Pro just picks a random monitor to choose as first and second in the arrangement. Then I change the settings and the next time I happens again. I've tried to change every hardware component (cables, the monitors themselves etc.) but the problem stays. Does anyone have a permanent solution?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 6:10 PM

Hello EQ-R,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you've got two external monitors connected to your MacBook Pro and after waking your MacBook Pro from sleep move the arrangement is often changed. I am happy to help you with this.

Take a look at the article below and follow any steps provided in the article for using multiple displays.

Use multiple displays with your Mac

If you're unable to find anything new to help with this in that article, I recommend resetting your NVRAM which stores display settings:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 6:10 PM in response to EQ-R

Hello EQ-R,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you've got two external monitors connected to your MacBook Pro and after waking your MacBook Pro from sleep move the arrangement is often changed. I am happy to help you with this.

Take a look at the article below and follow any steps provided in the article for using multiple displays.

Use multiple displays with your Mac

If you're unable to find anything new to help with this in that article, I recommend resetting your NVRAM which stores display settings:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Sep 27, 2019 11:00 PM in response to dawngreg08

Thank you for the suggestion. I think the MacBook Pro is not 100% equipped for external monitors. Probably the software is the issue here. Together with the arrangement issue, after waking from the sleep function, sometimes monitors are having a green or grey screen en sometimes one of them is not recognized.

It has helped to use original Apple Multiport adapters and the above mentioned resetting. Bud the problems still recur.

When waking up the MacBook Pro just picks a random monitor to choose as first and second

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.