Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPadOS will not take my wi-fi password

Just upgraded my ipad air2 to ipadOS and it will not take my wi-fi password.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 11:22 AM

68 replies

Sep 27, 2019 5:16 PM in response to mattdoyle

Apple today released iPadOS 13.1.1 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPad. This update:

• Fixes issues that could prevent iPad restoring from backup 
  • Addresses an issue that could cause battery to drain more quickly 
  • Resolves a problem where Safari search suggestions may re-enable after turning them off 
  • Addresses an issue that could cause Reminders to sync slowly 
  • Fixes a security issue for third-party keyboard apps

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: 

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Sep 24, 2019 12:42 PM in response to MichelPM

I have the same problem and have tried "Reset All Network Settings" and that didn't work for me either...

I just upgraded to iPadOS 13 and when it tried to complete the setup and sign into my apple account, it failed and took me back to the complete setup process. I tried it a couple of times, not noticing that the WiFi wasn't working and eventually skipped the step. When I tried signing in again later, I realised my WiFi wasn't connected. First of all I tried connecting and it failed. I forgot the network and tried again. I restarted the OS and tried again, but still no joy. It was at this stage that I "Reset All Network Settings" but it made no difference. I have even tried tethering it to my iPhone and that doesn't work either.

My iPad is also an iPad Air 2 (Model MGKL2LL/A)

Sep 24, 2019 2:05 PM in response to dd5087

Further to my previous post, I have just upgraded the firmware on my router which of itself kicked off a restart. I have also tried performing the "Reset All Settings" option on the iPad and that too had no positive affect on the WiFi, it just did what it said it would, reset all settings.

Unfortunately the Wife is trying to watch netflix so isn't too keen on me keep taking the router out of action so haven't tried WiFi with no authentication aka Open WiFi.

Sep 24, 2019 2:26 PM in response to dd5087

I had this problem since I first bought an iPad Air 2 in 2014. All my other Apple iOS devices (well over 10 various items) before and since never had this issue. Only on 2.4 GHz networks. The 5 GHz worked fine as did my cellular connection. I never could figure out why even though I did many complete erasures and reinstalls.

BTW, the 2.4 would work if I didn't enable the password.

Sep 24, 2019 3:07 PM in response to dd5087

Just got off the phone with Apple Support. We had to do a restore from iTunes to get it working again. All is ok. I just did an iCloud backup this morning so everything restored perfectly. I will say that for some strange reason we had to uninstall iTunes on my Windows PC and reinstall it, then do a PC restart to get it to finally restore. I am now on ipadOS and all is well. Sure hope all you folks have a current iCloud or iTunes backup.

Sep 24, 2019 5:50 PM in response to d0ugs3y

So, I did a hard reset to power off while still connected to my Mac. Then, powering up took me to recovery mode (if you just boot up and connect, it won't work. Error stating Mac can't connect to iPad).

Then once in recovery mode, avoid the Update option. Go for the restore. Once this is done, when the iPad reboots, select setup from new (restore won't work correctly at this point).

Once it's fully setup and configured as new, disconnect/reconnect to the Mac. Now initiate they restore of your backup file.

Once this is all completed... Sync as normal and let all the apps fully update themselves over the air.

It's a steaming pile of mess to get this working... But it all works for me now...

Hope this helps someone.

Sep 25, 2019 1:18 AM in response to d0ugs3y

Thanks for confirming @d0ug3y .. at least that'll allow us to install a further update from Apple. I also saw Bluetooth tethering works, so that's another way to get a connection.

Apple Engineering sent me an email about it & asked me to install a debug file to help analyse what's going on.. I intend to do that tonight. At least they seem to be taking this seriously.

Sep 25, 2019 6:27 AM in response to dd5087

I got an email from Apple WiFi Engineering asking me to install a special profile for diagnostic and to upload the results. I ran the profile, but I can't get my iPad to sync with iTunes in order to get the logs. When I plug it the iPad and try to sync I get an error "iTunes could not connect to the iPad “iPad” because an error occurred while reading from the device." Looks like this is another bug of iPadOS 13.1

I am not ready to do a full restore yet since I did not backup my iPad in a while, so hopefully they will find a software fix to this problem soon

Sep 25, 2019 7:29 AM in response to dd5087

Ok so I’m up and running. Like everyone I had issues installing 13.1. My post is in this thread somewhere. I also received and email from Apple WiFi engineering but I was already in the midst of doing a restore. This is what I did... Downloaded the 12.4.1 ipsw file from Apple. Uninstalled iTunes and iCloud from WinPC and then downloaded fresh and installed only iTunes. With iPad in recovery mode (Black iPad screen displayed lightning cable connecting to iTunes/pc icon) and connected to iTunes did a shift + left click on “Restore” in iTunes. Selected the 12.4.1 ipsw file from the explorer window then let it do it’s thing. When done, chose to setup iPad as new iPad, logged into iCloud and it found a backup from earlier this year. Restored that and was all good. I let it run overnight to update all my apps. This AM retried to download and update to 13.1 and it worked fine. Hope this helps. Too bad it had to come to this as I spent way longer than I wanted to on this.

iPadOS will not take my wi-fi password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.