Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to activate iMessages with my very old iPhone 4S after transferring my phone number.

Hello.

Yesterday, I transferred my old Verizon Wireless cell phone number from my old iPhone 4S (iOS v9.3.6; got it in early 2015) to my new used iPhone 6+. Obviously, I can't use its SMS but I can still use Apple's iMessages. However, iPhone 4S' iMessage Activation keep says "An error occurred during activation. Try again." even if I use my Apple ID account for its iMessages. "Send & Receive" is using my Apple ID e-mail address, and not my old Verizon Wireless former cell phone number. I already tried signing out and rebooting. None of them help. Also, I'm using its US region server. Once, I did get its iMessage Activation error saying "Unable to contact the iMessage server. Try again."

How do I fix this so I can still iMessage on my iPhone 4S? Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply
5 replies

Oct 9, 2019 1:40 PM in response to antdude

OK. That was weird. Late yesterday morning, I decided to reuse my old iPhone 4S, re-enabled its wifi (disabled it since I didn't want it to be active online), and got a text from the 28th and No. CA, US (also a VZW carrier #). How is that even possible without an active cellular service and disabled wifi? I still can't send iMessages from it! :/

Unable to activate iMessages with my very old iPhone 4S after transferring my phone number.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.